Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Strut braces

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
944Willie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut braces

Anyone have pictures of their strut brace. Any preferences or style that works better. I do the non regular autox and DE days. Can you tell a difference with and without it. Can you feel the difference between the styles. I have the adjustable camber units and would like to try and make my own. I don't have any idea what the cost will be but it's something I want to try.
I have looked at the ones from our sponsors and had questions about fit, hood clearance, and effectiviness (sp). I like the looks of the round bar with the two end pieces screw into the bar, but the flat bar style with 951 etched lenghtwise ialong the center would be nice. Any comment or suggestions. This may sound like a 1/2 hour job to some of you talented wizards but it is a step out of my comfort zone for me and a challenge. While I don't expect it to cost as much as some I have seen for sale, depending on how many atempts it takes. I am not expecting it to be cheap. It is a chance for me to start using new tools. Welding, boreing and threading into the round bar and the matching end pieces, polishing the finnished product will all be new and fun. I do have a 40 year master machinist (sp), who has given me the confidence to do this, who has said he will provide me the guideance but will not do it for me. "You will not learn anything if I do it for you" is his comment.
Thanks for the comments.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea thou I walk through the valley...

OR

Search is your friend

This has already been covered, along with how to turbo your N/A, what brake pads to get, what tires to get, where to find various widgets...
Old 06-01-2010, 10:56 PM
944Willie
Instructor

I did a search and found the polls and the comments but very little on the difference styles and no pictures. I figure this will be as much for dress up as value in handling because I'm not full out full time racing. Many of the search comments were to spend the money on suspension. I have already completed a complete upgrade, adjustable Koni's all around, adjustable camber plates, swaybars f/r, 31 mm hollow torque tube, etc. I might have been to broad in my request. As I said I was also looking for pictures and did not find any pictures.
But thanks for the comment.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:02 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

http://reutterwerk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20899

Pic of mine is on pg 1, I am too lazy to post the pics again...

there are other threads on here right now that are active with pics being posted!

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...968-hatch.html
Old 06-06-2010, 10:08 PM
chris951
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KLA strut brace is great. The price is cheap, but it fits perfectly and is easy to install.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:16 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As a cab owner I have the Dynatech (nla) upper and the BK underbrace. Both have made improvements in scuttle shake (not that it was bad) and better cornering.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:19 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

I had a Racing Dynamics brace for about a year. Then I "upgraded" to R134A and had to ditch the strut brace b/c the new fittings wouldn't fit under the brace. Didn't notice a huge difference but I would go with a setup like JohnKoaWood's.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:23 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
I had a Racing Dynamics brace for about a year. Then I "upgraded" to R134A and had to ditch the strut brace b/c the new fittings wouldn't fit under the brace. Didn't notice a huge difference but I would go with a setup like JohnKoaWood's.
Thank you Aaron.. OK, Posting a pic for posterity... this is how it looked...

She is under way on NEW and BETTER stuffs in there, replacing a lot of what you see, but the strut tower brace will stay for good! (although I believe I will be cutting down the mounts a little to drop the bar 1/8 inch or so...
Old 06-06-2010, 10:28 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had two different types, the KLA is what I use now, it bends a little bit less, but it should be possible to design a stiffer structure I would think.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:30 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by thingo
I've had two different types, the KLA is what I use now, it bends a little bit less, but it should be possible to design a stiffer structure I would think.
WHHHAAATTTT?

It bends... "a little bit less"?????

What was the one that bent a little bit more??

FWIW, my setup DOESN'T bend at all... it IS rigid...
Old 06-06-2010, 10:46 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

i will make one like this one day perhaps 2 independant bars and i think i will put turn buckles in it to pretension it .
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:54 PM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
WHHHAAATTTT?

It bends... "a little bit less"?????

What was the one that bent a little bit more??

FWIW, my setup DOESN'T bend at all... it IS rigid...
I don't have much clearance, but since the kla is a straight it will be more rigid, but there is no mistaking the marks on the hood, the loads are very high on the track, you can only make the chassis stiffer.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:30 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Weltmeister Cambermeister, on my 951 and a KLA on my 85.5 NA. I like the KLA better it's simpler and straight forward, works great, inexpensive and easy to install.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:34 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Here are some pics of my setup, We just spent an afternoon to fab it up in the shop. Clears the engine and the hood. No bending what so ever
Attached Images      
Old 06-07-2010, 01:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

How can you be so sure yours doesn't bend JET? Do you drive around without your hood on?
....or...X-Ray vision??

Quick Reply: Strut braces