Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Control arm failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rebuilt mine with the bronze SSR kit a few years ago. My sockets had just a slight amount wear...just enough to leave a tad of space around the aluminum and the bushing.

To fix this, I bedded in the upper bushings with MarineTex (an incredibly tough epoxy filler, similar to JB Weld, etc) so there would be no gap. So far, so good on things holding together.

If you do this, I can't stress enough the need to carefully plan a clamping setup that will insure the bushing fully set at the top of the bushing hole while the agent sets. You only want to fill the gap, not add material that will move the upper bushing lower. Not only will this increase the chance of pinching but it also makes it just about impossible to get the lower bushing in and cap on.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:51 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why anyone in their right mind would think a plastic piece, very responsible for a lot of force in the front suspension is a good replacement...baffles me. I sure hope anyone who has ever used the delrin cups didn't expect them to last. It must just be me, but plastic on something so critical is insane.

Love my bronze GCK ball joints. Super easy to install. Balljoints aren't nearly as hard as everyone says. I'll replace them in the car next time!

Quick Reply: Control arm failure