Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

For those of you with Recaro SRD/Speed 5-point versions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 12:55 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Here's a good link for belt safety and mounting. http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf
Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a club sport bracket from Porsche, for mounting of the inside harness lapbelt and the stock inside belt buckle. I used an eyebolt that bolts to the stock location for mounting the outside harness lapbelt and the stock belt. I machined a spacer that allows the stock belt to swivel even though the eyebolt is tight. I then used flat bar and made a bracket that sandwiches between the sliders and the seat, and includes the inside belt bracket as well as a bar for mounting the sub-straps. The shoulder straps mount to my Redline rollbar. Photos should explain what I'm talking about. If you want more photos just let me know.

FYI, I have recently fabricated a very similar bracket for my Sparco Evo2 seat.
Attached Images      
Old 05-27-2010, 01:09 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another thing, for anyone using a Recaro SRD, I know it's tempting to mount the inside stock seat buckle to the SRD hinge bolt. I strongly recommend NOT doing this. This bolt diameter is quite a bit smaller than our stock bolt, and likely is not sufficient to hold your weight during a 25g deceleration. Here's a photo, showing the stock belt buckle mounted to a Porsche bracket (see my post above), that is in turn welded to flat bar and bolted between the seat and the sliders. To the left you can see the SRD hinge bolt. From the scratches on the plastic, you can see that the previous owner of my seat was using this to mount the belt buckle.
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2010, 01:41 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by odb812
According to the PCA rules, mounting the sub belts to the side belt mounts is incorrect. Thanks for pointing that out docwyte. Also, it seems that you do need to put the sub belt mount below the seat as per the last statement. If the sub belt were mounted behind the seat, it would allow the lap belt to slide up if the front of the seat cushion were crushed. Is this right? Item 14 in the Safety section reads:
14. Five, six or seven point SFI or FIA approved competition harnesses, are required and must be properly mounted in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications (see Appendix B). Strap material must be replaced every five years. Harnesses cannot be mounted to seat or seat rail. Mounting must be to the chassis backed by large diameter washers (if stock mounts are not used) or to the roll bar. No two harness straps can be attached to a single mounting bolt. No Y-type shoulder harnesses are allowed. The angle of the shoulder harness going back from the driver’s shoulders cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizontal plane of the shoulders. Harness webbing must be approximately 3” for lap and shoulder harnesses and 2’ for antisubmarine straps. Additionally, FIA or SFI approved competition harnesses with 2” lap belts may be used, and FIA or SFI approved shoulder belts with a 2” section designed to fit over the yoke of the device may be used. The anti-submarine straps must be mounted such that they will not allow upward vertical movement of the lap belt due to “crushing” of the front seat cushion in any situation.
I'm not sure how you concluded that there's any difference in terms of safety between anchoring the sub-belts under the seat or behind the seat. My setup, with the belts anchored behind the seat, doesn't have any interaction with the front cushion; I could remove the cushion entirely and the belts would be unaffected. I can take a photo of the relevant part of the seat, if it would help you understand?
Old 05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JDS968
I'm not sure how you concluded that there's any difference in terms of safety between anchoring the sub-belts under the seat or behind the seat. My setup, with the belts anchored behind the seat, doesn't have any interaction with the front cushion; I could remove the cushion entirely and the belts would be unaffected. I can take a photo of the relevant part of the seat, if it would help you understand?
Agreed - I don't read the rules that way either. It's possible it's referring to people who wrap the sub belt around the front edge of the cushion (instead of through a sub belt hole.) That's how the previous owner of my car had it (stock seats, sub belt bolted to the seat frame and wrapped around the front edge of the cushion.)
Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mj951
Here's a good link for belt safety and mounting. http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf
Good reading - thank you.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:27 AM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Agreed - I don't read the rules that way either. It's possible it's referring to people who wrap the sub belt around the front edge of the cushion (instead of through a sub belt hole.) That's how the previous owner of my car had it (stock seats, sub belt bolted to the seat frame and wrapped around the front edge of the cushion.)
Okay, I got what you guys are saying now. I thought that having a sub belt hole was a given and they were saying if the back edge of the sub mount hole were to somehow crush. I was thinking what are the chances of that happening?
Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given that there is the sub belt hole in the seat already, why couldn't you mount the eyelet directly below it? ie mark the position, remove the seat, drill the hole, attach the eyelet with a reinforcing washer or (better) plate below, attach the sub belt, thread it through the sub belt hole and remount the seat? The seat would fit over the eyelet.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Quinlan
Given that there is the sub belt hole in the seat already, why couldn't you mount the eyelet directly below it? ie mark the position, remove the seat, drill the hole, attach the eyelet with a reinforcing washer or (better) plate below, attach the sub belt, thread it through the sub belt hole and remount the seat? The seat would fit over the eyelet.
In my car there isn't any room between the seat cushion and the floor.

Quick Reply: For those of you with Recaro SRD/Speed 5-point versions...