Old 05-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
makes sense considering firing order.. but you noticed this on a stock car with EGT probes at each cylinder on a 16psi or higher psi car with Motronic? Good info IF that's the case.
Stock car? I don't know what you are talking about...oh wait, doesn’t NASCAR use stock cars?

Nope, I have never outfitted a stock set up with 4ch EGTs, that’s info from a modified set up (including standalone – but not tuned cylinder by cylinder when those readings were taken).
Old 05-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

well.. my #4 also.. everyone elses #4.. so.. yes, absolutely. always. (99%) number 4 gasket. Rob's and Genes here in Houston (Observed) also.. 2xs minimum each.. number 4. there is a real "cheap"- relatively 4 readout EGT gauge for airplanes out there. $250 for the gauge and you buy 4x $40 probes.. . ONE gauge is nice. maximums and everything. pretty cool stuff..

Click on the INFINITY guages.

TC-1 is what you're going to scroll, or click the pic of after clicking infinity page... check the price.. Do the math... 1/2 price of anything else. Waaaaaaaay cooler too. Oh.. yeah.. thank me now. \\

http://www.mglavionics.co.za/ <<<<<<<<--------------CLICK HERE

Tons of other goodies to oogle over on that website also.
TC-2 is nicer if you can fit it in!
BTW - these gauges have peak recall, programmable warning indiactor (it will drive a seperate 'idiot light'), an extremely nice display...

If it weren't for the nice digital dash I already have the other MGL gauges would be all over my track car! I just have the TC-2 for now...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
so what is behind the statement "a 968 piston cant candle boost"" but can handle heaps of NA revs"
sit down and calculate the loads of increased cylinder pressures V increased RPM and also cosider is tensile V compressive load .I guess you can spend years building Porsche engines read clean and measure everything well do a good job but not understand the physics..
Physics....oh noooooo.....

Actually there is a valid point to the 968 piston not dealing with ‘boost’ very well in the real world. It can handle the extra load from the higher cylinder pressures just fine (its still way less load than the acceleration forces at TCD on exhaust stroke). But, and a big but, they don’t deal with the occasionally detonations very well and we all know that not everybody gets their tune perfect….
Old 05-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dubai944
A few marks, but nothing in the way of actual deformation.

Its hard to really tell from the pictures - but the lines on the bearings are typical of detonation. Detonation is basically the same as hitting the top of your piston with a 5lb sledgehammer as hard as you can. It will leave marks on the bearings that are thin straight lines in line with the crank near the top of the bearing…kind of like the ones in your picture! If you get into heavy detonation you can squish the bearing a little making little flat spots.

How about a pic of the piston top? We are looking for erosion that looks like somebody was tapping on the piston with an ice pick….

In the case of a turbo or supercharged engine the detonation can be from a lean condition OR high intake temps. Since you are in a fairly warm part of the world (!) the intake temps need special attention.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres the piston top, a couple of wierd scratches in the carbon, but that might have been me last time I used a screwdriver as a dial gauge to find TDC during a leak down test.

Intake temps during the 10 minute session went from around 100F at the start to 135 F as the car warmed up and just before the failure measured after the intercooler.

Old 05-22-2010, 01:14 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Are the rings still holding "spring" tension? Or are they soft?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly #4 has always had this "condition" hence all the head gaskets failures at #4. Im not so quick to blame the tuners. More so our situation. Air fuels probably AVERAGE out ok. but rich in #1 and lean in #4 is not acceptable.. but the A/F in the up pipe will read the average and look good. So..... I'm going to tune with an EGT at every port. I'm sure I will see whats going on then

Anyone else do done something like this?

Fortunately, with my set up I can tune each cylinder individually.. Another huge PLUS. (Someday I'll get to tune it .. ) SOooooo not sorry I went this route. It did hurt my wallet at start though!..
What is your set up?
Old 05-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast951
Are the rings still holding "spring" tension? Or are they soft?
Apart from the part of the oil ring you see sticking out, the rings are completely compressed and jammed solid into the ringlands. It will take some effort to get them out - haven't done it yet.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:00 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Apart from the part of the oil ring you see sticking out, the rings are completely compressed and jammed solid into the ringlands. It will take some effort to get them out - haven't done it yet.
I would suspect heat as a cause.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:49 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
What is your set up?
stock 968 motor is now sitting in car. custom header/exhaust/intake manifold YET to be made. So... a ways off.. MoTeC M48 and a bunch of other stuff sittin around.. I have to finish buying panels to finsh tub... I have a bunch of WTB posts right now to charge this project to full speed again. Still.. quite a way out.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:51 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Chris White
Stock car? I don't know what you are talking about...oh wait, doesn’t NASCAR use stock cars?

Nope, I have never outfitted a stock set up with 4ch EGTs, that’s info from a modified set up (including standalone – but not tuned cylinder by cylinder when those readings were taken).
LOL.. got it..

Thank you sir.

PS.. glad you backed me up on the guages.. I will be getting the LC1 Around September... (When motor is ready to burn.) burn money or gas has yet to be seen.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
...and the voltage to my fuel pump was falling when on boost. My A/F readings were fine from inside the car. ....
Trying to sort my own HG issues these days, so this caught my eye -- if the a/f looked fine, what was the issue? Don't mean to hyjack the threat -- PM if you prefer, thanks!
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris White
In the case of a turbo or supercharged engine the detonation can be from a lean condition OR high intake temps. Since you are in a fairly warm part of the world (!) the intake temps need special attention.
I think I need to pay more attention to this issue of high intake temps running forced induction in a hot climate.

I'm interested in getting a better perspective on acceptable intake air temperatures. Given that it's nearly alway hot where I am, ambient temps typically between 90 & 125F, and I typically see inlet temps after the intercooler up around 140. Water sprays and injection aren't really practical doing races of an hour or more...

The next engine will be setup to run up to 1 bar boost. I need to decide on a compression ratio to suit, obviously something lower than the stock 968 piston but with my typical intake temps and 98 octane fuel what is sensible?
Old 05-23-2010, 02:14 AM
George D
Drifting

I think I need to pay more attention to this issue of high intake temps running forced induction in a hot climate.

I'm interested in getting a better perspective on acceptable intake air temperatures. Given that it's nearly alway hot where I am, ambient temps typically between 90 & 125F, and I typically see inlet temps after the intercooler up around 140. Water sprays and injection aren't really practical doing races of an hour or more...

The next engine will be setup to run up to 1 bar boost. I need to decide on a compression ratio to suit, obviously something lower than the stock 968 piston but with my typical intake temps and 98 octane fuel what is sensible?
A thicker gasket along with better oil cooling and proper intercooler mods is key. This is what I've spent a great deal of time and money on with this build. I live in Tucson, AZ. Not quite as hot as your area, but close in the summer.

Moving your intake out of the engine bay will help keep intake temps as low as possible in your climate.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

For your info I ran 14-15psi on my 3.0 litre 8v car when on the track and even on 91-92 octane I had no signs of knock and EGTs stayed below 1550-1575 on most tracks. This was with a static compression ratio of 8.0:1. My intake temps did slowly move up to a maximum of 50-55C with the stock intercooler which was modified by LR for slightly better flow. My engine management was via TEC3 and with 72lb/hr injectors. I tried to stay with a strict 6000-6200rpm limit.

Quick Reply: Bore torn up by Piston