Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Overfilling oil for track use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:59 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Overfilling oil for track use?

My mechanic suggested I add oil until the level is past the high mark on the dipstick before taking my car on track. What do you think? Is this common? If so, by how much?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I keep it right at the full mark and have no problems.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:13 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I would suggest not over filling. Filling to the top mark is perfectly legit. If an engine is over filled too much the crank can get into it and froth it up like egg whites, not a good thing. Just check the fluid level after every run. I usually check all of my fluid levels after each run and top off as required.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

My mechanic tells me never to overfill at any cost he states its better to fill slightly under the full mark to be SURE. However i cant back that info up on anything other than hes words and 20 years of hes track experience.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
And to add to this, check after every run to insure it is topped off. Too much oil can cause foaming and this makes air bubbles in the oil. Too little oil and you get starvation and then it is rod bearing time.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it would be better to run 20-50 wt. oil at the top of the full mark. If you over fill it the oil air separator will suck up to much oil due to foaming.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:43 PM
DanR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
Originally Posted by rlm328
I would suggest not over filling. Filling to the top mark is perfectly legit. If an engine is over filled too much the crank can get into it and froth it up like egg whites, not a good thing. Just check the fluid level after every run. I usually check all of my fluid levels after each run and top off as required.
Originally Posted by Adonay
My mechanic tells me never to overfill at any cost he states its better to fill slightly under the full mark to be SURE. However i cant back that info up on anything other than hes words and 20 years of hes track experience.
Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
And to add to this, check after every run to insure it is topped off. Too much oil can cause foaming and this makes air bubbles in the oil. Too little oil and you get starvation and then it is rod bearing time.
All of the above +10
Old 05-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
+1
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Okay, deal. Thanks, guys!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:02 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Clark discusses this wrt to the oil starvation problem (rod bearing #2). He says it is/was common for racers to overfill by 1/2 litre. He obviously saw no need for any concern regarding this.

Originally Posted by clarks-garage
There are a number of solutions which are being used but, it's not really clear just how effective they are. The simplest and least costly fix is to simply run the oil level at or slight above the high level mark on the dipstick. Most folks say running 1/2 quart high is a good idea especially when running the car on the track. Even if you perform the other modifications for this problem, it's still probably a good idea.
So there you go. Your mechanic is in good company, at least.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Clark discusses this wrt to the oil starvation problem (rod bearing #2). He says it is/was common for racers to overfill by 1/2 litre. He obviously saw no need for any concern regarding this.

So there you go. Your mechanic is in good company, at least.
Your mechanic should be sent to the corner of the shop and have a ‘time out’ for bad advice.

I am amazed that this advice still exists. Its very bad advice.
Here is some better advice and it comes with an explanation too!

It has been noted by many that the #2 rod bearing can fail from lack of adequate lubrication. Based on ‘conventional wisdom’ (that means that they did not tyro t figure out why, they just did what worked on other engines) people assumed that the failure was from oil starvation because the oil pick up was getting uncovered and oil pressure dropped off suddenly. The fact that this happened at the track where cornering forces were much greater seemed to support this conclusion. Same thing used to happen to other types of cars too…so it must be the problem.

Wrong…in fact horribly wrong.

In reality there are four factors that cause the rod bearing problem.

1)The crankshaft is only just above the oil level in the oil pan. About ½” above. When you brake hard (like on the track) a significant amount of oil surges to the front of the pan and the oil hits a crank shaft turning at 5-6k rpm (on the track) and it does a very good impression of a blender on ‘Frappe’. Loads of foam – and once the air in entrained in the oil it does not separate out quickly. Foam is not a good lubricant.

2)944 turbos put a lot of heat into the oil – tempos over 250 are pretty standard of a stock 944 turbo on the track. Hot oil gets pretty thin, pressures drop and thin oil offers less protection. Hot foamy oil is not a good lubricant.

3)There are 90 degree bends in the oil passages in the crank shaft – not a good idea for a performance engine.(Porsche never intended the 944 to be raced and did not do any engine development towards that goal). Hot foamy oil going around 90 degree corners is not a good lubricant.

4)The oil pump has a cavitation issue at higher rpms (over 6500). Cavitation causes a big drop in pumping efficiency – less pressure. Cavitation can also introduce more air bubble into the oil. Hot foamy oil going around 90 degree corners with reduced pressure is not a good lubricant.

What makes this worse? Adding more oil!! You add more oil and there will be more oil hitting the crank and getting aerated. Those that overfill the oil are making problem worse.

On an interesting note I did an unintentional test many years ago - I was driving / instructing at the Glen and my wife was driving the 944 also. I was so busy I did not do all the usual checks – and on the third day I suddenly thought about the oil level – when I checked it there was none to be found! I added 3 quarts to get it back to mid level. So the car had been running around the track with a very low oil level and there was no oil starvation. So much for the uncovering the pick up ideas! That’s what started me analyzing the oil system in detail (10 years ago).
Old 05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Shoot! In that case, I'm going to run 1/2 quart down!
Old 05-19-2010, 11:07 AM
YZ250
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Chris White's experience trumps mine, but I ran a 20 minute track session 1 qt down with no apparent issues. I normally run at the full mark with 20W50. This is on a race car with R compounds pulling 1.3G peaks in the corners.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:48 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Chris i know realy just drained the oil on the sly as your misus was cutting faster laps than you ..
Old 05-19-2010, 12:06 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gt37vgt
Chris i know realy just drained the oil on the sly as your misus was cutting faster laps than you ..
Not an issue...she was never allowed full boost!!!

Quick Reply: Overfilling oil for track use?