Need help reading CarFax report -

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 11:00 PM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help reading CarFax report -

Hi there,

I'm interested in purchasing a car, it's an '86 944 but need help in determining if the history looks ok via the carfax report. The car is in the U.S (I am located in Toronto). Please see attached picture (comments/suggestions are welcome).
Attached Images  
Old 05-11-2010, 11:37 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on the carfax, it doesn't look bad. Looks like an ultra-low mileage car, which comes with a different set of issues. If it's got all of the maintenance records and it's going for a decent amount, I'd probably try to pick it up.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:36 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I don't see anything unusual, but as Aaron stated, beware of age-deterioriating components.

That said, still have the body and suspension gone over thoroughly for potential collision damage.

Oddly, though, the carfax report starts in 1990 but this is an '86. Wonder what the report looks like for the first 4 years of its life??
Old 05-12-2010, 10:20 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Thanks for the feedback...

Yes I was wondering the same thing...the only conclusion I could come up with is that the Dealer was driving the vehicle with "dealer plates"...which is a possibility. The car looks good but since I cannot drive it since it's in the U.S - I may consult with an import company to have someone inspect the car prior to putting an offer in.

If he has all maintenance records, what do you think is a fair price for this car ('86 944 turbo)?

Secondly - does anyone know of a reliable company that I can contact to arrange someone locally to inspect the vehicle?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where is the car located, I am sure there is a reputable lister near it that can look it over and give you an unbiased oppinion..

I would be willing to do that for anyone buying from a distance...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:03 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Where is the car located, I am sure there is a reputable lister near it that can look it over and give you an unbiased oppinion..

I would be willing to do that for anyone buying from a distance...
+1, ausgeflippt951 saved me a lot of money on what would have been a real disappointment. Turns out that all the pictures the guy had been sending me were from a few years ago, and "things had changed"...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:25 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

Yes this is what I'm concerned about....who knows if the pictures are accurate and recent....
Old 05-12-2010, 11:30 AM
miramar_trieste
Instructor

The seller is a nice guy, I actually believe he has the car in that condition....if things turn out great with this transaction, I will def. be recommending him to others...I found a company that specializes in importing from the U.S called Atlantic Auto Performance Ltd....I left a vm with them want to see if they can arrange an inspection....

Quick Reply: Need help reading CarFax report -