Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need more headroom. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't use the sunroof, you can replace it with a GT Racing or similar panel, its only about 3mm thick.

Then as the others say, a different seat mounted directly to the floor gives the most clearance. I have Sparco 2's and Sparco brackets, bolted directly to the floor. The seat shell bottom touches the carpet, so its as low as it can go.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Gurney bubbles
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 AM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by jmj951
Great topic! I'm 6' tall and have exactly the same problem with my helmet on. I plan to eventually swap out the seat because I don't see a way around this. I currently have to raise the roof and recline the seat much more than I would like to. The problem is that I don't know what to buy to make sure it actually lowers me enough, it's not like I can simply try a few out free of charge. I'd LOVE to see some responses with actual measurements or at least strong anecdotal evidence.
I might take some measurements tomorrow. I'm about 6' even, my Pro2000s slide on rails, so they're about an inch, inch and a half off the floor, and I have a bit of room between my helmet and the headliner until I add the HANS, which of course pushes my head a bit forward so that the helmet is just barely touching the headliner.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:09 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I am 6' 2" with most of my height from the waist up. I am using the Momo Super Cup Seats (HANS friendly) without sliders. I have a fiberglass sun roof. My helmet has clearance, how much I don't kmow exactly but I can put my hand between it and the roof.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:27 AM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have gutted the sunroof pannel but it only added about .5"

Solid back seats will sit lower than adjustable (usually) so buy carfuly. Once you put the solid back seat on the floor you are about as low as you can go.

At 6'3" I have the same problem and I have found replacing my steering wheel with aftermarket allowed me to use a quick relase as a spacer. Moving me back by a few inches allowed the seat to move back just enough, but I am looking for solid back racing seats to put me even lower. Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Lobotomy.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pic please??
Pics of what exactly
Old 05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm 6'1" and this is exactly what I did. Momo Monte Carlo wheel plus a 1 inch spacer and a quick release let me move my seat back and recline it enough to give head room with a helmet while still having my hands fall comfortably on the wheel.

Originally Posted by Silver Rose
I have gutted the sunroof pannel but it only added about .5"

Solid back seats will sit lower than adjustable (usually) so buy carfuly. Once you put the solid back seat on the floor you are about as low as you can go.

At 6'3" I have the same problem and I have found replacing my steering wheel with aftermarket allowed me to use a quick relase as a spacer. Moving me back by a few inches allowed the seat to move back just enough, but I am looking for solid back racing seats to put me even lower. Hope this helps
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Problem with pushing the seat back is your legs need to be long enough to reach the pedals. If you're like me and all of your height is in your torso, that won't work.

I have a momo wheel with quick release, but still needed to mount the seat to the floor to get enough clearance with a helmet on.

I tried fitting the seat on sliders and I barely had enough room with my helmet on, maybe 3/8". Not enough to be comfortable...
Old 05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Pic please??
You want pics of Reno?

Seriously, if you want to DE just bite the bullet and get a proper seat. Once you're on the track you will spend too much time holding yourself in with legs, knees, hips, side etc unless you get a proper race seat. Plus you lose a significant bit of weight changing out the power seats.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:25 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you mounting the seats directly to the floor without sliders? Aren't the sliders needed for the holes to all line up correctly?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:21 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Seriously, if you want to DE just bite the bullet and get a proper seat. Once you're on the track you will spend too much time holding yourself in with legs, knees, hips, side etc unless you get a proper race seat. Plus you lose a significant bit of weight changing out the power seats.
Yeah it's starting to look like that is the route I'm going to have to go.

I'm going to take Brian's old roof panel off his hands to see what that gets me (probably nowhere near enough though.) I'll probably look into a set of seats as well. Seems like you can order the Recaro Speed seats with a sub-belt hole, so I may look into picking up a set of those (provided the harness slots are high enough - I have a long torso.) Otherwise I guess it means I'll have to do a full hard-backed race seat. (Fun... but not when the wife has to sit in it all day...)

Damn. Even when these stupid cars don't need something... they still need something. Seats... hogged out roof panel... new LSD.... new turbo.... it just keeps coming...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:31 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 490 Likes on 327 Posts

Do you have a rollbar? If so, I wouldn't go with a reclining seat. I was torn between the 5 point SRD's (which I do fit in btw and I have a long torso) and fixed back seats. I decided that fixed back seats were the way to go since I have a rollbar.

I don't want to take the chance of having the seat back break if I get into an accident on the track...
Old 05-07-2010, 07:45 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

When you say you have to consider the wife is it that she drives the car or is passenger? If passenger just do this to one seat perhaps. I even bought a cheaper reclining black seat which looks ok and is easy enough to get in and out for the passenger.

I don't know how you tall guys can do it in our cars. I'm 5'10" on a good day. I have a raceseat and with helmet on I'm really close to the roof.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
When you say you have to consider the wife is it that she drives the car or is passenger? If passenger just do this to one seat perhaps. I even bought a cheaper reclining black seat which looks ok and is easy enough to get in and out for the passenger.

I don't know how you tall guys can do it in our cars. I'm 5'10" on a good day. I have a raceseat and with helmet on I'm really close to the roof.
6'3 here hence the early sport seats.

I still look huge in the car when I sit up straight.

Have you ever sat in a Corvette?

My head sticks out of the roof on a buddy's 04

Quick Reply: Need more headroom. Ideas?