Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Slight coolant seepage from head gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:14 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Slight coolant seepage from head gasket?

EDIT on 5/13 - Turns out it was that gasket leaking back. I used some gasket sealant and made a bead around the ripped gasket to trap anything that may leak out. After a quick run the enclosed area of sealant had gotten a little 'wet'. What a pain in the butt to replace though.. have to remove both inlet flanges cause that bottom bolt is covered by the waterneck...doh!

I noticed the area between the head and block a little wet with coolant (see pictures for details). Mind you this was only after maybe 50miles or so after i wiped it clean so it does not look too bad. But when i first noticed it there was much more there (enough that i knew it was not normal). Anyone ever see this before? There is no pooling really, just gets a little wet. It is all coolant, no oil mixture.

I replaced the original headgasket with a widefire about 3 years ago and it currently has about 15k miles on it about. Head was a fresh rebuild from LR and is o-ringed. This may have been going on longer but honestly i just noticed it, i only put about 1500 miles on the car in the past year (was living in TX). I usually run only 14psi on the track and street but i have done 1 or 2 pulls at 16-17psi. Car runs perfect, no noticeable coolant loss..etc, just this slight external seeping.

I also checked the torque on the rear coolant port flange thinking it may have been leaking forwards, but also no signs of leakage there and the torque on both bolts was good.

I noticed this also where the water neck bolts to the head. The gasket around the bolt hole is ripped / blown out. I dont think this is responsible for the coolant collecting in the pictures above as there is no indication anything is leaking from this spot and if it were leaking, it would probably leak forwards not backwards due to the angle of the head in this spot.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 05-13-2010 at 03:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Slight coolant seepage from head gasket?