Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.kayjayco.com/catPConnectors.htm
Old 05-04-2010, 08:50 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
They have the Female, but not the male...

Again, only source I found with the male in stock is out of Helsinki, Finland. And he has connectors, pins seals and boots in stock...

ALSO, Bosche will make a run of them for you, lots of 5000, with a minimum order of 10000.... a minimum order will set you back about 25K... but then who doesn't have 25K to throw at connectors (would be enough connectors to do 5000 cars though....)
Old 05-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I much prefer the female connectors....

BTW – the lesson is that if you touch/jiggle/move the stock harness there is a good chance that something will fail soon afterwards…!

After I remove a stock harness to do a TecGT install I like to flex it and listen to the sounds…its as addicting as that damn bubble wrap popping sound!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Chris White
I much prefer the female connectors....

BTW – the lesson is that if you touch/jiggle/move the stock harness there is a good chance that something will fail soon afterwards…!

After I remove a stock harness to do a TecGT install I like to flex it and listen to the sounds…its as addicting as that damn bubble wrap popping sound!
Yes it is, BUT as was my case, my sensors worked great, the sensor end of the sensor wires was in good shape, but the connector on the sensor crumbled in my hand. I searched and searched and came accross the connectors and figured WTH I'll give it a shot, and if it works out off load the rest of the connectors...

Worked great for me untill the factory harness failed 2 weeks or so later... I figured to hell with it, and replaced the harness and both sensors just to be done with it... the OEM connectors were molded onto the sensor wire when the sensors are made, and I have seen more than 1 where the rest of the sensor harness looks almost new, but the connector has crumbled to dust...

And yes, flexing the OEM harnesses IS adictive like bubble wrap... That is a project I am soon to undertake, MIL std harness rebuild for my entire engine bay / under dash / in car harnesses.... won't be quick, won't be cheap, but I can guarantee it will be the best damn harness I can have in place!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So JoKA, can you get some? Perhaps we could put together a GB?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
JohnCh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both male connectors on my car are shot, so sign me up for a pair if you can get more.

Thanks,
John
Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ehall
So JoKA, can you get some? Perhaps we could put together a GB?
How many should I be asking for, I pulled up the last e-mail exchange I had with him (the source) and can ask for any ammount...

I let go of 9 sets in 8 months... so 10 sets? 20? I am writting him an e-mail right now to check availability of the bits... and can order them today as long as they are available...

I have asked for pricing and availability on 20 additional connectors (10 more sets) but can increase that number if needed... you guys tell me...

BTW the pricing DOES go down as the purchase volume goes up... the last sets I bought were FAR cheaper per set than just buying one set... so teh more we buy, the cheaper each set becomes...

Last edited by JohnKoaWood; 05-04-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is Bosche really the only source for these? I would expect to find them in the Tyco catalog. Do you know the manufacturer's part number?
Old 05-04-2010, 11:58 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dare
Is Bosche really the only source for these? I would expect to find them in the Tyco catalog. Do you know the manufacturer's part number?
They are an out of production Bosche only part... I found MULTIPLE sources (including tyco) that listed them, and sent out dozens of rfps, and only got one source back that had them in stock, it was bonus that they are willing to sell them in small quantities (Bosche quoted cost for 10000 of them (their minimum order on out of production items, minimum is 10000, with lot sizing of 5000 after that)...yeah right...).

I can order any quantity, package them per car, and ship them out.... but I doubt I will EVER buy them directly from Bosche.. and yes it is a Bosche proprietary part number, and they own the rights to produce them...

they liscense those rights for the ref sensors, hence the pricing on the sensors...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
They are an out of production Bosche only part
Interesting. Frankly, since I'm rebuilding the DME harness anyway, I'm temped to replace both connectors (sensor and DME) with more readily available parts.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:42 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Interesting. Frankly, since I'm rebuilding the DME harness anyway, I'm temped to replace both connectors (sensor and DME) with more readily available parts.
That is a viable option... IF you plan on keeping your car for the long haul, or dont plan on anythign associated with the harnes or connectors failing...

You could replace EVERYTHING with weatherpac, MIL-STD, or even currently available Bosche or seapac connections, BUT if you ever need to replace anything associated with a sensor, or teh harness make sure you keep records on the sources you use.. or you might just find yourself doing it all over again in a year or two..

One project I have been putting off is a complete DME / ENGINE ACCY / dash wiring harness rebuild.. I have done this before, and can do it the right way again... good luck, if you decide you want the connectors I have let me know and I will be more than happy to assist!

When I get my harnesses rebuilt, I will be able to repeat the rebuild...
Old 05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
supes6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I was thinking also, but you'd almost have to keep a stash of extra connectors in case you ever needed to replace the sensors. I saw another thread on here where someone replaced both male and female connectors with something else from EagleDay, but they don't seem to carry the connectors anymore.

Also, given the fact that my sensors are only 3 years old, with probably less than 10k miles on them, you have to think there's a better connector out there we could be using. Maybe something with a little more support to keep the wire from kinking.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:59 PM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by supes6
This is what I was thinking also, but you'd almost have to keep a stash of extra connectors in case you ever needed to replace the sensors.
I figure the new connector bodies are likely to outlast the remaining life of the car. So all I really need are extra pins and seals in the event I have to install new sensors. I'll probably end up buying a couple of extra bodies anyway, but I doubt its going to cost me more than $20 more.

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
You could replace EVERYTHING with weatherpac, MIL-STD, or even currently available Bosche or seapac connections
If I remember correctly there are really only three wire-to-wire junctions that would benefit from upgraded connectors: the O2 sensor and the two reference sensors. My plan now is to build the harness with some form of new connector at each of these points. I haven't picked the exact connector types yet, but I'll be looking for something that is robust and broadly used. I'm leaning towards weatherpack but I open to suggestions.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Try these - http://dkc1.digikey.com/us/en/tod/Am...r_NoAudio.html
There is a link to the DIgi-key catalog site at the end - good place for electronic gizmos.

Very nice and availalbe in just about any configuration form 2 wire to 16+ wires.

Weatherpack connectors are a little on the crude side .They do work but its not an elegant solution.

Quick Reply: where to get male connectors for reference sensors