Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pressure problem solved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 06:45 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure problem solved?

Finished installing my Prosport oil pressure and boost gauges. Oil pressure reads 82psi at startup and stays steady while driving. When I get on the throttle pressure goes up to about 90 to almost 100 psi. After completely warmed up pressure at idle is about 50psi. In-dash gauge reads between 3 bar at start and 0 at idle after warmed up.

The Prosport sender is in a plate right under the oil filter. Is pressure here a little higher? Or is my engine really much healthier then I though? I'm using Castrol high mileage 20w 50.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:55 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Your dash gauge reads 3 bar on a cold start and 0 bar at warm idle? The prosport gauge with a new sender reads 80 to 100 and idles at 50? I'd guess your factory sender or wires are bad and the prosport setup is correct.

Any chance you can post a pic of the setup? I'd like to see how tight the prosport/sender setup is. Also, what brand pressure sender are you using?
Old 04-24-2010, 08:57 PM
por4ever
Instructor

A picture wouldn't show much. I used the oil filter adapter plate. There is just enough room for the sender that comes with the gauge, don't know what brand. The sender is on the flat side and a temp sensor is on a side hole to be hooked up later. I made sure to hook up the wires BEFORE installing it since it is pretty tight.

Only problem I had was the gasket that comes with the mounting plate is very thin and had a small tear in it. I called Prosport and they were good about sending out a new one. The replacement seemed to be higher quality and more like a gasket on an oil filter.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:01 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

The Prosport readings are correct for an engine in good shape.
Its always interesting to peg a 100 psi gauge…makes you wonder about the oil filter gasket!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Por4ever - Does the sender face to the front of the car? Helpful if can you post a link to the Prosport unit that came with the plate. Still like to see what exactly you have.

I have a VDO sender and am trying to figure out just how it will fit before I buy. Agree it's going be tight.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Here is the plate I am using: http://prosportgauges.com/oil-filter-adaptor-plate.aspx

This is the sender: http://prosportgauges.com/performanc...re-sender.aspx

It is a bit smaller then the stock sender. I can take a picture tomorrow. If I recall correctly the flat side of the mounting plate is at about 5 o'clock when looking toward the back of the engine compartment. The sender is in the front right hole and I put a temp sender in the left side hole. It all just fits next to the water pump. The filter was a tight fit though. The water pipe the runs along the side of the engine almost stopped me from being able to screw it on. Mine looked like it was bent at some point so you may have better luck.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

A couple of things to consider with the Prosport filter plate –
Make sure the gasket is perfect and in the right position – the 944 does make over 100 psi when cold. Also – the Prosport site has the wrong thread size listed – our cars (and almost all Porsches) are 20 x 1.5 thread.

The mounting ports in the plate are all small metric – I have drilled and tapped them to fit larger ‘typical’ mechanical gauge senders. The plate is aluminum and very easy to modify.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 PM
por4ever
Instructor

After driving a couple hours no leaks detected...yet. It took some hunting but I did finally find that I needed the 20x1.5 plate. Only thing I had to kind of guess was the torque for the bolt that holds the plate to the filter mount, anyone? Thought about Locktiteing it but the thought of that floating around in the oil system didn't sit well.

Also the pressure sensor is on the left side of the flat part of the plate

Anyway here are some pics:
Attached Images     
Old 04-26-2010, 04:22 PM
por4ever
Instructor

For anyone interested here is how the gauges look on my pod. I just have it wired for amber not white. The first two are from more or less my head position. I'm thinking of coloring the bezels black.

My only complaint is they do have a bit of glare other then that I am very satisfied.
Attached Images     
Old 04-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Perfect. Thanks. This really helps. I've been trying to determine if I can fit a VDO electrical pressure sender in the space. Looks like it will work.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM
por4ever
Instructor

Jeff, just remember if it is the same size as stock it may not fit.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:33 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris White
The Prosport readings are correct for an engine in good shape.
Its always interesting to peg a 100 psi gauge…makes you wonder about the oil filter gasket!
Just saw it on Horsepower tv standard oil filters hold to 350 psi +/- Royal purple filters hold past 700 psi
Old 04-27-2010, 12:08 AM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is most likely a stupid question but why cant we use the stock oil pressure sending unit with aftermarket electric gauges? I just bought a Autometer gauge and am still not sure how to hook it up. Is there a way to use the factory pressure sender?
Old 04-27-2010, 10:41 AM
por4ever
Instructor

I suppose you could. The only issue would be the signal that is sent back to the gauge. On my aftermarket sensor one lead goes to ground the other goes to the sensor. When the sensor is disconnected the gauge reads full high. So you would just have to find out if the resistance scales are the same for different sensors. But again, the stock sensor will not fit under the oil filter.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem solved?