Recent pics of the car and a story

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:13 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Recent pics of the car and a story

Well,

Had my friend with a trailer go get my car yesterday and bring it over to the fabrictor's shop to finish up with the safety gear.

The car is not going back to the mechanic's shop, it will be headed to a different shop. The first mechanic basically threw in the towel on the car, at the very last minute as the deadline to complete it was loaming, leaving me in the lurch.

I dropped the car off late Feburary with a decent bang list of things to get done. Car had to be done by early April to head over to the fabricators so the rollbar and safety gear could get done.

Let's just say that as of yesterday, the car wasn't done. This resulted in me having to cancel my first track day of the season. I'm extremely disappointed about this and incredibly upset as there was more than ample time for the car to get finished.

It's literally been at the mechanic's shop 10 times longer than in my garage at this point. The mechanic more than has the skills, but has an incredibly lack luster work ethic. Let's leave it at that as I'm so irritated I've got far more "colorful" ways to describe the situation. (I was a sailor, let your imagination roam)

Between this latest fiasco and the crap PPI I had done, so far my experience with "mechanics" on this car is less than ideal.

Anyways, the fabricator did an outstanding job, here are the pics. We had to mount the drivers seat directly to the floor, otherwise I didn't have an adequate amount of headroom with my helmet on. The passenger seat is on sliders.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:06 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

looks great
Old 04-24-2010, 10:37 AM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice
Old 04-24-2010, 10:43 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice looking car. Liking the wheels
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

What's left to do Doc? SMT6 install?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:07 AM
roman944
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

looks very comfy! nice!
Old 04-24-2010, 11:15 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Greg,

The boost solenoid needs to be hooked up, MAP sensor hooked up, SMT6 hooked up, gauge panel and boost/oil temp/wideband A/F hooked up, momo steering wheel, airbag delete, horn hooked up, vacuum leaks chased down, tuning for boost maps and A/F done, car to pass smog, then pull the cat and replace it with the test pipe and the drivers door handle needs to be troubleshot, it doesn't open with the key once the alarm goes off.

I'm getting the car this morning from the fabricator and will do the steering wheel/horn/airbags and I'll try to take care of the gauges as well and look into the drivers door handle issue...
Old 04-24-2010, 11:32 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

beautiful car. any pictures/details on how the driver seat was mounted?
Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Oy, that's still quite a list. Bummer it didn't get done, none of that is particularly hard, just takes some time/effort. At least it'll be fast enough to scare you when it's done
Old 04-24-2010, 12:01 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yep and what irritates me the most is that the car should've been at this point a month ago. Then I would've had time to address this and still have the car done in time for the track day.

I used VAC side plates bolted to the seats, then bolted straight to the factory mounting points. We had to make up an extension plate for the forward mounts, as the VAC plates weren't long enough...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:36 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=docwyte;7509267]Well,

Had my friend with a trailer go get my car yesterday and bring it over to the fabrictor's shop to finish up with the safety gear.

The car is not going back to the mechanic's shop, it will be headed to a different shop. The first mechanic basically threw in the towel on the car, at the very last minute as the deadline to complete it was loaming, leaving me in the lurch.

I dropped the car off late Feburary with a decent bang list of things to get done. Car had to be done by early April to head over to the fabricators so the rollbar and safety gear could get done.

Let's just say that as of yesterday, the car wasn't done. This resulted in me having to cancel my first track day of the season. I'm extremely disappointed about this and incredibly upset as there was more than ample time for the car to get finished.

It's literally been at the mechanic's shop 10 times longer than in my garage at this point. The mechanic more than has the skills, but has an incredibly lack luster work ethic. Let's leave it at that as I'm so irritated I've got far more "colorful" ways to describe the situation. (I was a sailor, let your imagination roam)

Between this latest fiasco and the crap PPI I had done, so far my experience with "mechanics" on this car is less than ideal.

Anyways, the fabricator did an outstanding job, here are the pics. We had to mount the drivers seat directly to the floor, otherwise I didn't have an adequate amount of headroom with my helmet on. The passenger seat is on sliders.

Car looks great. You must be tall. I have a friend that's 6' 6" and his helmet hits the roof in the factory sport seats. He has to vent his sunroof to clear. My Recaro racing seat is on sliders, but has a deep back and seat. My large friend can't get his *** to fit in my racing seat.

There are few mechanics that are competent with our cars. You have to be careful with whom you allow to work on these cars.

Hope it's done soon. My car should be done in a month. Then I'll change my avatar. As you can see, it's not done yet...
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

It's not really that I'm tall, it's the way I'm proportioned. I've got the torso of someone 6'4", the arms of someone 6'6" and a 30" inseam. That puts me into the front of the sunroof, where it constricts headroom the most, yet I've got this really long torso.

I don't think the mechanic was incompetent, he just had no work ethic to speak of. My car sat there untouched for long periods of time...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:38 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Well, picked up the car and it's in my garage. Tomorrow is wrenching day, although it looks like I could've gotten away without the quick release hub. I can scoot in and out of the car with the stock steering wheel no problem...
Old 04-24-2010, 02:42 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doc,

I feel ya'....been there done that with mechanics/shops.

Sorry to hear about this, I know FIRST HAND how frustrating it is. Good luck with completion
Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm just confused with the guys behavior. I dropped the car off at the end of Feburary and gave him more than a month to get everything done. Instead I get the car back at the last minute and it's not finished.

Good news is the car drives very well, so I think the work that was completed was done properly.

Quick Reply: Recent pics of the car and a story