Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Paging Ski!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:42 AM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Truely a sad day for all involved. Hopefully we can get the story of the events that lead up to this to prevent this from happening in the future.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ski
about 6 hour after the explosion, I got this from one of the guys on the boats, I'll post more

Damned glad too know that you are okay. We have some 951 and 944 guys out there so please let us know if you get word.

Semper Fi!

E
Old 04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BTW fellahs, we still need word on atleast five guys. I can't remember exactly which guys, but most live in Houston.
Top of my head is spoolin and trackin, but I could be wrong...and those are just the long timers. There are plenty more.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ski
Hey, I'm in FL, in school. Thanks for checking Lanny, I am at Seadrill now. The rig is the Transocean Deepwater Horizon. It belonged to Reading and Bates, then the merger or buy out of them brought them under TOI (transocean offshore inc) in 2001 IIRC.

If you go to www.gcaptain.com, click on forums, then proff mariner, there is a sticky thread, and you can see pics.

Lanny, they had just run 9 5/8 I think, and were getting ready to T&A I think, details are sketchy. So did the packer give, not sure of their tools but I mean you just cemented...anyway, they had encountered lots of gas the whole well. It's been a long long time since there has been a deepwater blowout like this.

Lets hope they find the 11 missing safe and sound.
hey ski,

ya know your gettin old when your asking about ELLSUU and thinking about ski! I , (FOR THE RECORD) was thinkiing about both.
Glad you guys are good to go!
Semper Fi!
Old 04-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 04-22-2010, 05:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa....

I guess gas prices are gonna be all fubared up now too
Old 04-22-2010, 07:24 PM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

What's the eta on putting something like that fire out?

Local guy on another forum was fishing when it happened. Could tell something was going wrong and spotted it in his binoculars. Hightailed it over to the rig after the Maydays rang out to help. Pictures that he took below:

Old 04-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

The BOP is probably rated at 15000 psi, not sure of the Horizon. The pressure probably washed out all of the high pressure rubber goods inside; I'm sure they're (ROV) trying to close the sheer ram with a hot stab on the BOP side - hydraulic port, ROV has male stab, put into a female slot, ROV activate pum which closes the shear ram. Risk: the pressure could actually burst ram packers on the BOP if it's that much greater than the rated pressure. Rumor has it DDIII is headed over there in a few days to start drilling a relief well, depending on depth, it could take a couple of months. BP has to get all the hardware for the wellhead and other sub sea equipment too.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
wetoddid
Intermediate

Big problem I see is if the rig landed on the wellhead. Or similar problems if the riser pulled the stack off the well head. Closing the shears might not cut it as it usually requires a lot of pressure, probably over 3k psi, to shear the pipe under wellbore pressure(If the pipe/casing is still there), pressures that the ROV might not make with their pump. If they had acoustics, they could do it from the surface (if the stack wasnt the problem to begin with).
Odds of the wellbore pressure over 15k should be nil, since the casing would rupture before that pressure was reached

Kevin
Old 04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

rumor over at gcaptain is they got it closed in but not verified.

The ball jt on the LMRP probably would have failed before the riser pulled the BOP, most are 7 degree max.

We won't know for a couple of days what they were actually doing, cementing - POOH - setting a plug for T&A or what?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Lanny Curlett
Burning Brakes

No further word on the eleven missing?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

friend over at TOI said they told family members that it was very unlikely they survived the blast, USCG is shutting down the search in the morning.

There is a list of names out, one was the driller for sure, not sure of the other positions, probably released tomorrow or the next day.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Local news just reported that CG found no oil leaking.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:32 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
BTW fellahs, we still need word on atleast five guys. I can't remember exactly which guys, but most live in Houston.
Top of my head is spoolin and trackin, but I could be wrong...and those are just the long timers. There are plenty more.
Spoolin should be in Chicago chillin with Dave & DDP.....not sure about the rest.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:21 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Ski,

Local news is talking this up to be a major disaster. Hype or real? Beginning yesterday we could start smelling the oil issue. It's stronger this morning but it's not offensive.

Any word in the industry of when they can stop the leaks?

Quick Reply: Paging Ski!!!!