Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Head is off...Opinions on Cylinder Walls Please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Bummer, never seen that happen. Looks like it broke around the wodruff key area. You could probably run it if the keyway is still solid enough to hold the key, but I oersonally wouldn't risk it. A good machine shop might be able to weld and turn it, but good used cams are so cheap that it's probably not worth the effort. No worries about losing its positioning anyway -- the keyway taked care of that for you. When you put the cam gear on it will orient properly via the key, so you can reset it to TDC.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Euro951
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do a new cam, not much for a used one, see Lart. Also the one cylinder in the 4 oclock position shows a rub. Which means the side of the piston skirt is scored pretty bad. Mine looked like that and I was shocked to see how bad the piston was when it was removed.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

S&#t happens….used cams are pretty cheap – replace it.

A tip on cleaning the piston tops – get some heavy grease and put it around the edge of the pistons so that the carbon chunks can’t get between the piston and the cylinder wall – the chunks are very abrasive and can get trapped between the piston and cylinder. That will also help keep the piston rings lands from getting contaminated with junk.

When you are done cleaning get a shop vac and make a quickie adapter (use duct tape!) from the shop vac hose to a piece of either fuel line or vacuum hose and suck up all the grease (it will have crap stuck in it now – so don’t try and wipe it up!)

The shop vac to vacuum hose set up is very handy for cleaning up around the engine bay – also great for sucking coolant out of odd places!
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any other parts needed when removing/replacing the camshaft? I have the seals that are in my front end reseal kit. Does the camshaft slide right out after removing the lifters? Lart has offered me a camshaft from an 88 turbo S. I have an 87 non-s. Would these be interchangeable?

Thanks all,
Old 04-21-2010, 04:30 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
Are there any other parts needed when removing/replacing the camshaft? I have the seals that are in my front end reseal kit. Does the camshaft slide right out after removing the lifters? Lart has offered me a camshaft from an 88 turbo S. I have an 87 non-s. Would these be interchangeable?

Thanks all,
the cams are the same
Old 04-21-2010, 04:57 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are replacing the cam, you may want to install new cam bearings.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:46 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have they got ya scared to death yet?
Old 04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Get a new cam, it is easier and quicker than having to re do it. As far as the cam alignment, that is not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Head is off...Opinions on Cylinder Walls Please!