Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Help a fellow 951 racer with Dyno problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try switching the FQS to position 4 - that lowers timing ~3degrees and lower your rear tire pressure (way low, 10-15psi) then re-dyno.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Next time, let some air out of the back tires and say you changed your tune quick haha.
Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
Try switching the FQS to position 4 - that lowers timing ~3degrees and lower your rear tire pressure (way low, 10-15psi) then re-dyno.
Although those suggestions may get him the low rwhp readings to stay in GTS2 on paper, they won't do squat if he is protested with an on site dyno. Since he was protested once, you can bet he will be protested again if he beats the same person in the next race or two.
Old 04-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Ah - good point, though the FQS is easy/quick to change, and might get him low-enough...
Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty funny, they tested everyone in the class one day or the other. I will probably move up to save some wiggle room. It will allow a lot more horsepower and less weight. With more horsepower I can be competitive in GTS 3.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:50 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Want your car to read a lower number on an inertial (dynojet) dyno?
No problem, just bolt on some heavy wheels. Tell them you don't want to burn up your "new" race tires, but are happy to run your car on the dyno right now....."just give me a second to put the shop rollers on it, I'll run and get them and put them on right here"
Fill the damn things with wet sand.
A dyno operator can make his machine say anything he wants it to. Are you beating his friend on the track or dating his ex?
In any case, Dynojets are horse****.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:39 PM
JDS968
Bannana Shine
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 219 Posts

The problem is that wheel dynos are voodoo. NASA swears by them, drag racers swear by them, people who like to get into pissing contests swear by them...and it's about as good as reading tea leaves. They don't mean anything in absolute terms and they aren't even accurate for comparisons, except sometimes for readings taken on the same dyno within a few hours of each other, and only for each car's first run. If you want meaningful numbers, you need an engine dyno, have fun with that
Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by disasterman
I like the idea of light too. When are going to run Skp? Amos was racing with us in GTS, a bunch of PCA'ers were there.
Planning on doing the comp school in June - going to be running GTS4. You guys coming down to Nelson Ledges again this year?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:45 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 346 Posts

He has no time to change anything. If you're pulled to dyno, you literally come off the track, stay in grid where you can't touch the car, then directly on to the dyno, where, again, you can't touch or change anything.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

FQS should be easy - if your computer is not packed-away...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogue_Ant
FQS should be easy - if your computer is not packed-away...
If you have to cheat to win, why bother
Old 04-12-2010, 10:20 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
Want your car to read a lower number on an inertial (dynojet) dyno?
No problem, just bolt on some heavy wheels. Tell them you don't want to burn up your "new" race tires, but are happy to run your car on the dyno right now....."just give me a second to put the shop rollers on it, I'll run and get them and put them on right here"
Fill the damn things with wet sand.
A dyno operator can make his machine say anything he wants it to. Are you beating his friend on the track or dating his ex?
In any case, Dynojets are horse****.
Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Dynojets are used in JGTC and Nascar. It's about the most difficult dyno to fudge the numbers on. Tell me one thing that the Dynojet operator can do to fudge the numbers? For example take a Mustang dyno and throw a different weight for the car into the parameters and see what you get. Can't do that on a Dynojet. If anything I would suspect any of the non inertial dyno numbers just because there is so much tinkering that the dyno operator can do to affect the numbers. Want to know how you can make your customer to feel good about the $10k in mods you installed? Put it on your eddy current dyno and show him the "big improvement".
Old 04-12-2010, 10:26 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by Lemming
Lol, your not changing anything that wasn't adjustable from the factory anyway - I don't see how it is any different then getting an aggressive alignment (except clicking the FQS is easier).
Work with what you've got - use it to its full potential, IMO.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:27 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by disasterman
I want to learn more about Dynojet and I am going to a certified NASA shop to confirm my numbers before the next race. It seems that this dyno is biased against turbo cars. I had similar numbers when the SAE correction factor was not used on the Mustang Dyno.

Although I'm starting to calm down, I was totally pissed off and to make matters worse, I got a nice love tap (with damage) in the cluster*** of fighting my way up from the back with an extra 150 pounds.
If anything the Dynojet doesn't load a turbo car up like you can on a eddy current dyno and as a result you won't make as much boost.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Originally Posted by Lemming
If you're not cheating you're only cheating yourself.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. Dynojets are used in JGTC and Nascar. It's about the most difficult dyno to fudge the numbers on. Tell me one thing that the Dynojet operator can do to fudge the numbers? For example take a Mustang dyno and throw a different weight for the car into the parameters and see what you get. Can't do that on a Dynojet. If anything I would suspect any of the non inertial dyno numbers just because there is so much tinkering that the dyno operator can do to affect the numbers. Want to know how you can make your customer to feel good about the $10k in mods you installed? Put it on your eddy current dyno and show him the "big improvement".
Umm....no.
Only an eddy current dyno reads actual horsepower. If you don't believe me, just run your car on an inertial dyno with a set of heavy rear wheels. Then bolt on some super light wheels and run it again.
The result will be that you just "made" more power. Did you really?
Of course not, and that's what's wrong with inertial dynos.
Any dyno numbers can be fudged, it depends on how accurately the correction factors are entered. Keep in mind most dyno operations are in the game to make tuners feel like heros.

Quick Reply: Help a fellow 951 racer with Dyno problems!