Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Changing my head gasket - what to look for

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 12:58 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

LR has a gasket kit that contains all of the gaskets you will need to replace, i.e. cam tower gaskets, intake manifold gaskets as well as the head gasket. If you are not going to be making any major mods I would stick with the widefire kit. Since you will have your cam tower off you will want to look at your lifters and see how they are doing, with the head and all of its bits and pieces out of the way it is convenient to check all of the oil system paraphenalia like the OPRV. If oil pressure is an issue and since you will have the belts off you may want to also check the oil pump.

I have the widefire and do not have any problems and I usually run about 15 psi.
Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Supernotch93
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasBlake
Does anyone know of any Houston, TX area machine shops that I should take my head to?

blake@texasblake.com
Blake,

I recommend only one place for machine work, there the best in the buisness IMHO and located near hobby airport.. Bruce has done all my work without flaw!! From porsche to our 2000hp dragster his work is top notch and at a good price. His information is below.

We should get together sometime, I live in League City and will be changing out my head gasket to an MLS with ARP head studs. I work offshore but will be back intown starting my tear down on the 26th of April. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get togher and swap stories or build ideas! Have a good one.

Bruce
USA RACING ENGINES / THE WOP SHOP
713-645-4000
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
The original head studs are stretch bolts that have failed by definition once they are used.
The head studs are not torque to yield and can be reused. The only thing the manual recommends is to replace the nuts and to scuff the washers to keep them from rotating. Here is a good description on head studs:

https://rennlist.com/forums/7430478-post92.html
Old 04-17-2010, 01:19 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

TexasBlake; great website. I always appeciate the people who take the time and effort to document their projects. It is a huge help for others.

Quick Reply: Changing my head gasket - what to look for