Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Introductions and questions on Building one of these beasts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010 | 08:11 PM
mverick160
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introductions and questions on Building one of these beasts.

Hello,

I've built and driven 911's for the past 18 years. I had looked at 944's before and every one I drove had bad rear shocks. When I punched it the *** end sunk. And I drove at least 10 of them that were for sale. From nice dealer lots to guy's selling them. Well, I was always interested in the turbo's and went to look at one.

86, decent interior, lil dash cracking, drivers seat 2 tears. Rest clean as a whistle. Has the Moonroof and is a burgandy/brown color outside with tan interior.

On the motor, a pulley had let go and lunched the head. So he brought it to the "cheap" place to fix it. $3000 later and it don't run right either. So, he brought it to Reid Vann here in St. Louis and they found no comp on 1 and 2 cylinders. Took it back apart. New valves were out of spec alowing them to be open while sitting. tops needed ground down. Plugs were all loose. Missing fasteners in the motor. Yada, Yada, and fixed it.

It drives nice, lil cold blooded but I'm always wanting more. Tires looked good but the car had pretty much sat for a year after the work had been done. Sons car and son was away. He has a Jag supercharged in the garage so he's not into it.. Well, Drive it and it drives well and tight. Hand him the cash and it's at home now.

So, Tires were toast on back from dry rot from sitting for so long. Ordered new 225/45 17 and 255/40 17's Dunlop direzza star specs for it. That fixes that. Now read in reid van's report that the exhaust was clogged and that's a lack of power they recomended new exhaust. So, wow, who would think steel tubes would cost so much. But, custom shop can put on a 3in down to 4in out pipe with pre muffler and muffler for decent. A lot cheaper then these tuner ones I found. Had a shop custom build a flowmaster single in dual out. Awesome sound. But, not wanting loud anymore...

Any suggestions on exhaust for quit with lots of flow?

Now for motor.

I see the dualport mod for the original. How much HP is that good to?

Shimming the waste gate I see also.

Chips and banjo bolt is on order. It was cheap off ebay, autoauthority 2.

Now, anything I can do that's "decent" priced.

I'm not looking to get 800hp out of it. 3 to 400 would be fine at rear wheels. I saw Lyndseys dyno with just a turbo change at $1100 and dual port and chips and exhaust at around 400hp. That, I'd do.

So, any recomendations how to do this without costing more then the car cost?? LOL

Anybody do a low buck build that drew good HP?

Thanks for all the info, great place you have here.
Old 04-07-2010 | 08:31 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh and Sid are the kings of doing stuff on the cheap i thought i was but my current engine has got out of hand ..a second hand K27 is good for close to 400hp and generally bolts in for less than 500.
having an exhuast made is a good idea .
quiet and strong is simply heaps of mufflers 3" or bigger .
A long tail pipe is pretty effective go as long as you can stand as they look stupid also down turned tial pipes are good but again look stupid ..
also a little restrict or on the very tip is very effective and quieting it down with negligible effect on performance as the gas it cooler back there .. also the restrict or can perhaps be removed easily ..
some of those ricer cans are pretty good with the choke insert....

the other thing i have noticed is it seems the muffler shop pays more than what you can find on ebay for tube and mufflers

to me Lindsey seems to absolute destroy other vendors for value for $

Quick Reply: Introductions and questions on Building one of these beasts.