Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1989 951 Rear Hatch Alarm Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 11:55 AM
Ez8
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1989 951 Rear Hatch Alarm Sensor

I bought this 951 a few weeks ago (my first modern Porsche and prompted me to register to this site). No problems whatsoever with the mechanical portions of the car. However, it does include the standard "Satan's Choice" intermittent alarm system I've read so much about.

I've narrowed the problem down to the rear hatch. If I push down on the rear hatch the alarm goes off. The rear interior light also goes on and off with the pushing motion. I figure if I can disable the rear hatch alarm sensor I'll be all set and won't have to unhook the battery every time I park it.

Where is the sensor located and can it be successfully disconnected without affecting the rest of the alarm system?

Thanks.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Ez8
Track Day

Just want to give this one last bump to hopefully find anyone who can help.

I just need to know how the circuit for the rear hatch portion of the alarm system is completed.

I've tightened the rear hatch receivers and this helps, but it is still a little touch.

What "tells" the car the rear hatch is open?

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Quinlan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe there is a microswitch in the passenger side strut - there is a spade connector on mine that, when disconnected, turns off the hatch light.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist. Not sure the answer to your question - sounds like a grounding issue though - would look at the workings at the base of the passnger strut.

You should post up the general location your in - might be some fellow rennlisters nearby that could help
Old 04-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Ez8
Track Day

It turned out to be a grounding issue. On the passenger side strut at the top there is a little plastic sleeve that interrupts the circuit when the hatch is closed; this was too far towards the top and not interrupting the circuit at all.

A coworker of mine looked at it for about 30 seconds, found the problem and said "It's just like an RX-7."

Quick Reply: 1989 951 Rear Hatch Alarm Sensor