Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FS: 1986 Guards Red / Black 944 Turbo - T61 Turbo, Supporting Mods, CLEANNNN $6000.00

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:12 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Buddd - carlege is 100% correct - it all reads a bit fishy

you post up car FS with a 15K mile engine, then later say it was swapped with a lower mileage engine and headgasket is old. You start to raise red flags for any potential buyers.

May want clear it all up with specific date, mileage, who did the work, etc to get you back on track.
Old 03-29-2010, 07:37 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Ill scan the engine receipt and post it up, I wasn't the owner during the swap so I was a bit confused too
Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
buddd
Rennlist Member

I've been real busy w work but if blown hg is the case (which I still think it is, I had another mechanic look at it last night and he said the same thing), with thr car in the great condition its in and the mods does k sound right? Could I get more? Less? Thanks guys
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by buddd
I've been real busy w work but if blown hg is the case (which I still think it is, I had another mechanic look at it last night and he said the same thing), with thr car in the great condition its in and the mods does k sound right? Could I get more? Less? Thanks guys
Selling a non running car is alot of work. I suggest you fix the HG if that's all it is and it should sell for you asking price no problem.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
carlege
Drifting

If working it should sell for 7 -9 considering the conditon of the car. I mean a weekend of your time is worth that. just replace the HG dont worry about any other things such as head or other gaskets.

But then you have to convince yourself to sell it again LOL that will be harder if its driveable and for god sakes dont keep starting the car with a bad HG you can end up scoring the cylinder walls similar to too much fuel
Old 03-30-2010, 01:02 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by porshhhh951
Selling a non running car is alot of work. I suggest you fix the HG if that's all it is and it should sell for you asking price no problem.
Originally Posted by carlege
If working it should sell for 7 -9 considering the conditon of the car. I mean a weekend of your time is worth that. just replace the HG dont worry about any other things such as head or other gaskets.

But then you have to convince yourself to sell it again LOL that will be harder if its driveable and for god sakes dont keep starting the car with a bad HG you can end up scoring the cylinder walls similar to too much fuel
You will have a tough time selling a non-running car for $6k. If you fix it then yeah you could definitely get 7-9k. But as is, I'd say you might be able to get $4k out of it, especially not knowing exactly what's wrong with it.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM
2bridges
Drifting

The problem selling as is is that you really don't know what you have until you pull the head.
That is the moment of truth...... scored cylinder walls, etc - anything is feasible with a blown HG and an engine you have never been in before.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:19 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Damn.. Anyone want it for 4k with a stock turbo and intake?
Old 03-30-2010, 01:20 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I still think you should replace the head gasket. If you spend an hour a week you will be done before this car sells at $6,000. I built my engine etc working 40+ hrs week, 20hrs week school, and all the other bull**** life entails. You will take too much of a beating to do otherwise.

FWIW John (porssh951) sold a great running, rebuilt engine, top of the line mods, and 968 rear for less (all documented) I am still kicking my self for not picking it up
Old 03-30-2010, 01:33 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Well if you pull off the turbo then you might as well change the headgasket while you're at it
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your gonna go through that trouble, you may as well do the HG.
Not much more time from there.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:37 PM
carlege
Drifting

jeze budd. i cant help but think there is something really wrong with this car if your willing to spend all that time getting it to run right installing a new turbo and then spending all that time trying to figure out your lindsey MAF was bad..... It just stinks of either lazyness or an underlying problem. Is the job to big for you to tackle? i just cant see how putting a new HG is such a problem

And i also hate to say it but your the reason alot of these great cars are being parted. If you buy a car and sell it in worse shape then when you got it. So willing to modify but so unwilling to maintain
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM
spyder348
Pro

these cars are sweet compared to the new junk out there. everytime i have given up for a reason like that in the past was always a mistake. let an 86 951 w 140k go because the turbo was bad for 2800$. the car ran great but did not boost well. (dumb) made up for it by buying another 86 951 for 2500 and taking the time to do all the work right. maybe if you do the HG and get it running you wont even want to sell it and be happy you fixed it.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:10 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Or its because I just started my new job two weeks ago.. I can do the hg, I just do not have time, maybe ill make my buddy do it..
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM
buddd
Rennlist Member

Or its because I just started my new job two weeks ago.. I can do the hg, I just do not have time, maybe ill make my buddy do it..

I'm trying to sell it as is just because I'm looking for a downpayment on my new car, I wish I had time to tinker w it as I'd probably just fix it and keep it then, but jackhammering all day in the rain leaves me unable to move by 5pm haha

Quick Reply: FS: 1986 Guards Red / Black 944 Turbo - T61 Turbo, Supporting Mods, CLEANNNN $6000.00