Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sun Roof Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Roof Issue

So we had our some warm days lately and against my better judgment, since I have only had problems with my sun roof, i decided it would be nice to take the roof off. Flipped the switch and the sunroof popped up without any issues, I then flipped the switch the other way and nothing happened. I can't hear the motor trying to work or anything. I thought it was a fuse but I checked every single fuse in the fusebox and they are all good. I am thinking maybe the switch went out but am skeptical. Is there a relay that may have gone or a pressure switch or something. Let me know your ideas so I can try them out.
I am stuck with the sunroof up and have to cover it any time i think rain might come. This has pissed me off enough that I am finding manual latches to convert the sunroof to manual, so I am just trying to figure out a way to fix or get the sunroof retracted until I can get the parts need to convert the roof in like 2 or 3 weeks.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:53 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You should be able to lower it manually. The sun roof motor is located behind the hatch carpeting in the vicinity of the hatch cargo light. It's been a few years since I've been in there, but I'm almost certain there was a way to put a wrench or socket on the wheel to lower the roof.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:55 PM
m carter
Instructor

Hey,
I had the same thing happen to me. My problem was the battery was low and wouldn't operate the sunroof. Also, could be switch or roof motor?? Good luck.
Mike
Old 03-25-2010, 03:36 PM
sparkyman215
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys. fortysix, I think you are right. It has been about a year or so Since I did a major overhaul on the roof and thought I remembered a way that you could lower it manually but also thought my mind was playing tricks on me. I will look tonight if I can remember how to do it.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM
joe_951Turbo
Instructor

Its real easy. I just did mine the other day because I'm having the same problems too. In the center of the motor there's a small black cap. Just take it off and you'll notice in the center that you can throw wrench or metric socket on it and then you can raise/lower it. My problem is that it won't raise it after it lowers itself. Mine has a new sunroof switch, so it must be something wrong with either relay or motor itself.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
eyeball kid
Racer

Check the mounting isolation bolts. One of mine broke, the motor assembly slipped and the cable wouldn't close the roof. Quick shove and everything works fine. Still need one of those funny rubber isolation mounts though---anyone got one?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:12 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm afraid to use mine. I used it once a few years ago and i probably will never try again
The following users liked this post:
bobinnova (08-11-2022)
Old 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
spyder348
Pro

The switches come loose on the motor mounting board. You need to take back the carpet on drivers side. Inspect the assembly see if anything is loose then refer to clarks garage i think it is. Few customers of mine have come in for sunroof rebuilds. I have done 5 so far. Every one turned out perfect but its kind of a pita.

Quick Reply: Sun Roof Issue