Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Headlight Loose - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:06 AM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Loose - Help!

My 87 951 has developed "loose headlight" syndrome and I have no clue how to fix this. Last night while leaving my driveway for the great open road I turned my headlight **** to the on position and instead of being greeted by the expected twin popup headlamp concert, the lights came up maybe a few inches then stopped. After close examination I discovered that the driver side lamp assembly was loose but I have found no visible problem with it or place to tighten it, whatever it is that's loose.

Can anyone help?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:26 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,

There are a couple of possibilities here. The first, are the triangle shaped brackets holding up the driver side headlight bucket. These have 3 10mm bolts that attach to the frame right above the radiator, to the side. To reach the bolts, you need to raise the headlights and reach into the engine compartment behind the headlight bucket. The bolt heads should be accessible right below the nose panel. Check these for tightness.

Next is the headlight linkage support bracket. This is attached by 2 10mm bolts to the frame rail. Check those two for tightness. I'm guessing this is your problem, as I've had it before.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:47 AM
60Driver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Hi,

There are a couple of possibilities here. The first, are the triangle shaped brackets holding up the driver side headlight bucket. These have 3 10mm bolts that attach to the frame right above the radiator, to the side. To reach the bolts, you need to raise the headlights and reach into the engine compartment behind the headlight bucket. The bolt heads should be accessible right below the nose panel. Check these for tightness.

Next is the headlight linkage support bracket. This is attached by 2 10mm bolts to the frame rail. Check those two for tightness. I'm guessing this is your problem, as I've had it before.
There is also another triangle-shaped bracket on the other side of the headlight bucket. If that one is loose, the wheel and inside fender wall must be removed to tighten.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 PM
Tx951Dude
Advanced

It turned out to be that the pivot bracket on the inside had broken and will require a replacement. I just ordered a new one from 944online for $21.95 plus shipping.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction!
Old 02-28-2021, 06:36 PM
Doyle623
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Does anyone know if the grommet/bushing in the picture can be purchased separately? I’d like to replace these, along with the pivot bushing, since they seem loose. I looked at the PET diagram but don’t see this part listed.

The following users liked this post:
Tiger03447 (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 02:17 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Yep those be some of the grommets in question as well...as the ones in the stamped support plates.

Quick Reply: Headlight Loose - Help!