Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

One degree camber change adds how much toe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One degree camber change adds how much toe?

Anyone know approximately how much the toe changes when you adjust the camber on these cars? One more degree of negative camber toes out the car by how much?

If it matters, assume the car has 25" fender height. 1986 suspension setup.

TIA!

Jeff
Old 03-02-2010, 03:01 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about the front of the car, or the rear? Are you adjusting camber using camber plates, or with the stock adjuster at the bottom of the struts?

I had my alignment guy collect data on the front of my car after I first installed my Racer's Edge camber plates. On these plates, the change in toe is not exactly linear with camber, but it's fairly close.

For each degree of camber change, I ended up with a 40 minute change in toe. Toe goes more negative (toe out) with increasing negative camber.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Hi Ian....great questions. Should have included that information. Yes, it is front camber changes via top mounted plates.

I'm set at zero toe at -2.5 degrees front camber. Like to dial in a bit more for the track but was curious as to toe impact.

Is that change total toe or toe by wheel?

Jeff
Old 03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
beebone
Racer

Originally Posted by Jeff N.
Anyone know approximately how much the toe changes when you adjust the camber on these cars? One more degree of negative camber toes out the car by how much?

If it matters, assume the car has 25" fender height. 1986 suspension setup.

TIA!

Jeff
My M030 with RE camber plate installed, the Toe setting is followed factory setting with -2/-2 degree camber, tire wear is even.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:37 AM
IanM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is total toe change, with camber adjusted from the plates. Note that I run maximum positive caster on my car, which is about 3.5 degrees. I haven't thought too deeply about the geometry, but it may be that you will have more or less of a toe change by moving the camber plates if you're running different caster.

I normally run -2.5 degrees front camber and about 5 minutes total toe-in on the street and track. For autocross, I adjust the plates for -3.0 degrees front camber, which works out to about 15 minutes total toe-out. This makes the car very quick to turn in, which is great for autocross. I had my alignment guy collect a variety of caliper readings for me at different camber settings, so I can adjust back and forth quickly.

Quick Reply: One degree camber change adds how much toe?