Suggestions for my 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:44 AM
andycowman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for my 951

Hi all,

I have been a member a while but only posted once or twice. I have had a rocky start to Porsche owner ship so far! I bought a guards red 1987 Turbo in Jan 2009, it ran pretty well and I took it on the track not long after.

I had the car in to GTone in Chertsey (uk) to have its balance and cam belt, tensioners and the top end oil seals done and the engine got a clean bill of health apart from one oil leak from the oil filter housing. I ran into problems not long after, long story short the DME was dead. 6 months later and my car is back on the road with a Emerald Standalone ECU installed and running 225bhp from the dyno with plenty of scope for improvements. I want a sound baseline before I get carried away so:

Does anyone have the parts numbers for the little cogs in the sunroof?! Mine are stripped and I am bored of getting a wet ****. Or is it best to get them on ebay?

I enjoy my driving and intend to do the odd track day and a yearly trip to the Nurburgring. This is heavy going on brakes and tyres, currently I have Toyo Proxy T1Rs on 17inch cup wheels - I am not sure this is ideal and so do people have suggestions on good affordable tyres? The Proxys cost a bomb!

The same question re brake pads and discs. I have used EBC Green Stuffs on my Golf GTI and they lasted a long time, are they any good on the Turbo? Where is the best place in the UK to order decent parts and reasonable prices?

Tuning wise I am after drivability and find there to be a bit to much lag for my liking. The boost is now electrnically controlled but the wastegate, exhaust and turbo are standard, as is fuel pump, regulator and injectors. When it was tuned I was told that I could increase the boost quite a bit if I improved the fuelling and so was thinking of a 3bar regulator and new fuel pump as the first steps then look at a dual port wastegate from Lindsay Racing (via Promax in the UK) using the standard turbo. From my understanding this should encourage the turbo to spool earlier and reduce lag whilst allowing the boost to build high and deliver me more power overall. Or have I got that totally wrong?!!!

I don't have a huge amount of cash as I also run an old Landrover

Many thanks

Old 02-23-2010, 11:46 AM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Love the rims...they look gunmetal.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

In reference to the brake pads and wastegate, there are MANY schools of thought on each, if you search, you'll come up with copious amounts of information.

The sunroof gears can be ordered from a variety of places. I usually get them from Zims, but that's because they are local to me...

The part number for the gears is: 944.564.430.01
Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

If i were you i would get Wideband 1st. and then go from there. do a search. i know there are a few threads on the forum that state what should the 1st few mods. That being said i would 1st make sure the suspension is TIGHT, brakes, wheels, then power, change the tranny oil if u havent done already.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
andycowman
Intermediate

They are gun metal! That light did not do them justice

The suspension is all pretty new Bilstens, I did the arb and bushes also when that failed about two weeks after buying it!

I have been having a look and there are so many schools of thought on the first steps. More thoughts and pricing is required which should keep me busy at work!

Thanks for the part number, I will call up the dealership tomorrow and find out the price of them.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:08 PM
bshah1976
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
If i were you i would get Wideband 1st. and then go from there. do a search. i know there are a few threads on the forum that state what should the 1st few mods. That being said i would 1st make sure the suspension is TIGHT, brakes, wheels, then power, change the tranny oil if u havent done already.

What are the symptoms of a loose suspension? Shocks/Struts?
Old 02-23-2010, 03:30 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bshah1976
What are the symptoms of a loose suspension? Shocks/Struts?
Everything... making sure all of the bushings is nice a firm make sure the controls bushing is are good, making sure ball joints are not loose as well as tie rods, shock mounts, making sure the shocks and struts are not soft, make sure the drop links are good, swaybar bushings, rack mount, the ujoints on the intermediate shaft is still tight, making sure all everything is tq down and etc u get the idea
Old 02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
gt37vgt
Drifting

I have a modified stock waste gate that works great so i would concur that lindsey gate is a good idea .. search the forum with things like "350whp" it seems to be the limit before the expense spirals out of control. consider a locally made 3" or 4" exhaust after checking out a few photos you'll see there is not realy that much to them ..
it seems that Andrew and promax are great but expensive so more expensive than the shipping difference from lindsey .. for parts that will go in a shoe box ..
USPS is better value than UK royal mail.
if you arrange it first I'm sure Lindsey will agree to refund or credit your waste gate core charge after you send your's after fitments .
I would maybe go local for chips or MAF so you have local support but for stuff i can mail order that doesn't realy go wrong i wont realy give my local guy any more than 10% price difference ..
Old 02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

Hi Andy,
i would get 2 sets of tyres, one for track days and one for street use. Street tyres on the track just dont work and you end up distroying a good set of road tyres. i run the T1R on the street as well. but for the track i swap over to toyo RA1 Rspecs. same goes with the brake pads, buy 2 sets one for the street that has little brake dust, sure they wont stop as good but they do their job. i use bendix standard for street use. they dont wear the rotors. but for track use i use pagid blues. we have tried all types of pads for the track but i find these the best for our 951. We swap the tyres and pads out after each track session. you will need some good brake fluid as well, again we think that castrol SRF is the best stuff out there.
Up grading the wastegate will help with spool and power, make sure you use it in dual port mode
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

...fit a wankel rotary engine and be done with it................

oh, and don't use a light weight oil, especially on the track and even more so at N'ring.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for my 951