Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Urethane trans mount mod (the "Kelly procedure")

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the feedback guys -- George D's pictures were exactly what I was looking for. I haven't decided which way to go, but it's good to know that you can knock out the kelly procedure overnight and that the window weld procedure can be done on a spare mount.

FWIW, I checked out the shore hardness of window weld and it's listed as 55-60A. It comes out of the tube in a tar-like consistency, which is why you can do the Larry Parker / George D procedure to a mount that is not bolted to the cross member. Window weld hardens when exposed to the moisture in the air. The japanese car guys who use it for motor mounts sometimes have trouble with it not fully curing when they pile a ton of it into a motor mount. I would guess this occurs because the stuff in the center never gets exposed to adequate moisture if you really heap it into a big void. No one has ever complained about this on the 944 tranny mounts that I've seen searching through RL, but I would imagine that if you tried the full-on Kelly approach with window weld, you'd have some issues with it not hardening fully.

I'll post up pics and a writeup when I knock this out in a few weeks.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went Brians route, quick pic but you get the idea. The red plastic film was used to reduce the mess while compacting the goo.

Last edited by ibkevin; 08-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Urethane trans mount mod (the "Kelly procedure")