Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

clutch or transmission failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark,

When I drove your car I did notice that you had to have the clutch pedal right to the floor to change gears, whereas in mine I can change with clutch only 2/3 in. So if something has worn further, you are probably just beyond some limit and can't quite disengage the clutch. If that is the case, it is either your slave cylinder or your friction plate is worn out. Do you know when the clutch was last changed? What is the clutch wear measured through the inspection hole?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:35 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
Mark,

When I drove your car I did notice that you had to have the clutch pedal right to the floor to change gears, whereas in mine I can change with clutch only 2/3 in. So if something has worn further, you are probably just beyond some limit and can't quite disengage the clutch. If that is the case, it is either your slave cylinder or your friction plate is worn out. Do you know when the clutch was last changed? What is the clutch wear measured through the inspection hole?
See post #12 for measurements. I don't have any records indicating the clutch has been changed -- may well be original (1990, 177K kms).
Old 02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When this happened to my S2 I had the same doubts about the transmission but sure enough, it was the clutch. The transmission in these cars is really strong.

Hang in there. It gets better, really!
Old 02-22-2010, 08:30 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ditto.

The reason you can't change gear on the move is that the rubber fragments from the failing rubber hub get between the clutch disc and the flywheel, creating enough drag to baulk the synchros and prevent gear changes.

This was explained to me by a Porsche tech when mine failed in the same way.

He also said that the backup steel drive dogs make it sound like your trans is broken because the steel fingers transmit all the trans noise up the torque tube. He said the steel drive dogs are strong enough to drive around on for up to 12 months as long as you're gentle.

You shouldn't wait this long though!

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Ditto.

The reason you can't change gear on the move is that the rubber fragments from the failing rubber hub get between the clutch disc and the flywheel, creating enough drag to baulk the synchros and prevent gear changes.

This was explained to me by a Porsche tech when mine failed in the same way.

He also said that the backup steel drive dogs make it sound like your trans is broken because the steel fingers transmit all the trans noise up the torque tube. He said the steel drive dogs are strong enough to drive around on for up to 12 months as long as you're gentle.

You shouldn't wait this long though!

Hope this helps,

Mike
Thanks Mike -- that all makes sense.

So to confirm: Your S2 had the infamous rubber centered clutch? How many years/kms before it let go?

And what clutch kit did you replace with? I'm having a bit of a problem getting my head around the difference between the clutch parts for the various models...
Old 02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

My rubber-centred clutch disc sheared in July 2003, 12 years old and 90,000km.

I considered a spring-centred disc but was wary of judder with the 3.0 motor. I got a rubber-centred kit from Ian at 944online and fitted it myself that August.

I'm light on clutches so I expect the rubber centre to disintegrate again before the friction material wears out.

My guesstimate is 10-12 years life so I've got a bit of breathing space before I have to decide.

Gut feel is that a spring-centre clutch is fine as long as your motor mounts are up to scratch.

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 02-23-2010 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:36 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Oh yeah - forgot to mention: If the rubber centre is starting to disintegrate then there will be rubber particles evident when you remove the bellhousing inspection port bung. You may have been too busy looking elsewhere to notice, but this would confirm the diagnosis.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
Thanks Mike -- that all makes sense.

So to confirm: Your S2 had the infamous rubber centered clutch? How many years/kms before it let go?

And what clutch kit did you replace with? I'm having a bit of a problem getting my head around the difference between the clutch parts for the various models...
Yes, unfortunately the S2 uses a rubber centered clutch, I believe its the same disc as an N/A and S.

If you have the original in there 20+ yrs w/ 177k km, its lasted longer than can be expected...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:07 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Word.

I was chasing motorbikes when mine went, same deal, shifting from 4th to 3rd. Here's where it happened:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...03439&t=h&z=18

Whoops guess I shouldn't have given away one of the best driving roads around. Bimbling north to Wairoa for a pie is a good way to spend a day off.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah - forgot to mention: If the rubber centre is starting to disintegrate then there will be rubber particles evident when you remove the bellhousing inspection port bung. You may have been too busy looking elsewhere to notice, but this would confirm the diagnosis.

Cheers,
Mike
I had another look in the port, but didn't see any rubber particles. Nevertheless, I'm willing to call it the clutch on the strength of everyone's input, particularly Mike's. Thanks all. (BTW, I did another test drive after bleeding the clutch, and basically unchanged.)

Now I just need a plan to fix it...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark944na86
I had another look in the port, but didn't see any rubber particles. Nevertheless, I'm willing to call it the clutch on the strength of everyone's input, particularly Mike's. Thanks all. (BTW, I did another test drive after bleeding the clutch, and basically unchanged.)

Now I just need a plan to fix it...
When I bought my S2 the PO's shop confirmed that the stock clutch had been replaced with a spring centered version.

However, when the replacement clutch went, the hard-shifting symptoms were practically the same as you describe. With the bad disc out I noticed the lining had broken off here and there resulting in an inoperative clutch.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a quality clutch kit!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Cheers,
Mike
Mike,

Found some tell-tale bits of rubber in the inspection hole today while I was starting on the clutch job, confirming your diagnosis -- just thought I'd let you know. Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:27 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Sweet - glad I could help!

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: clutch or transmission failure?