Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rolling fender vs. cutting lip off

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 AM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DDP
Both cutting and rolling have their negative effects. If you were to cut/grind the metal away, you're going to end up heating the paint on the other side. If you want to do this without damaging the paint you're going to be spending some serious time on it. You'll have to let it cool for a while between grinding and cutting as to not bubble the paint.

Rolling is the better solution, in my opinion. I have done both. The only issue with rolling is to not distort the fender at all, which is easy to do with the fender roller. I'm not sure how much a bodyshop would charge to do it, but if you don't feel all that capable take it there. It would be better to pay a benjamin or two to insure you don't hack up your car. If you do decide to roll the fenders yourself, use a heat gun (if you're careful) or a hair dryer to soften the paint as you do it as to not chip it off.

If the lip is ground down or cut, you could go far enough to give yourself the room you need and still not separate the two halves of sheet metal (I assume this is what drifto-man 944 did). Also, you'll be able to round the end and make it even less 'sharp' then the factory lip. I wouldn't worry about cutting the tire as long as the wheels are correctly spaced. At least, any more so then the factory lip.
^ Basically true.

Anyway I'm not trying to prove that cutting is better, because rolling is indeed the better way to go, however from my experience I'm very pleased with my cut fenders, and I have no regrets. There seem to be a lot of people on this thread slamming the cut fenders idea, when they have never tried it themselves. From first hand experience I can assure anyone that it will be perfectly fine, nothing to worry about if you do it correctly.

And for the last time, the metal does not get wavy or flex or separate, even when cutting off about a 12 inch strip.

Cost was free, time was about an hour for both sides. Rolling the fenders will take less time, maybe the same if you are careful with a heat gun, but I was quoted $80 to have it professionally done, which is what tipped my decision to cut.

I used a little water bottle sprayer on the paint to keep it cool while I cut. No sacrifices were made to the paint thankfully. As for sharp edges, yes they are sharp, not rounded like rolled fenders are, but not sharp enough to cut your fingers if you rub all over them.

So, final say is this... rolling is the better way to go, because of the more professional, cleaner look, but don't be fooled that cutting the fenders will be a problem, because they won't!
Old 02-18-2010, 03:13 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think eniac has the ability to resolve this once and for all. I say lets have eniac cut the fender lip off in its entirety. Weigh the removed material so we know what the weight saving is, and then tell us what the final outer fender looks like and the seam with the inner.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:25 PM
drift a 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if there's one thing I have to agree with, it's that there won't be much weight savings. I would say generally well under half a pound of material.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:41 PM
eniac
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah weight savings is not even a consideration with such little metal. The reason I mentioned it is my thought was whle I had the cut off wheel and grinder out cutting everything else off, it would be easy to slice the inner lips off as well. If the rear seperates I would hit it with a couple MIG spot welds and seal it from the inside. I would like to fab up some new aluminium inner wheel wells for the rear also but that will be something for next year.

Quick Reply: Rolling fender vs. cutting lip off