Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

intro, a tale of woe and light at the end of the tunnel!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
incomplete
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LUCKYJACKASS
I don't know if you already bought new reference sensors, but the cheapest I found were from FPC Grotons website. - $75 each and they are Bosch. Have had no problems getting parts form them. Good luck with everything.
yep! i already got two of those sensors from an ebay store a month or so ago... i think they were around $68.

now, i will be going all misty-eyed for a moment and just say that i'm blown away by the help and assistance i've gotten from this forum. i come from the honda world, and even though i knew the best places to haunt there would be the occasional jackass (not you, however) show up and annoy me. i guess the registration fee is one hell of an effective barrier to entry!

shane
Old 03-22-2010, 03:06 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by incomplete
well, it seems that picasa changed all of the image url after it decided to completely bork up the album and force me to re-create it. so, all the image links are busted. i guess as time goes on i'll fix them up (like i did my last post).

anyways, it's been a while since i updated the thread, so i thought i'd share some developments and new pics!

first off, i am throwing in the towel and having the car towed to a shop to get finished off. the deeper i look, the more i find that needs attention. the initial task of just replacing the vacuum hoses has mushroomed in to a bigger overall project.

this was initially a tough decision, but made pretty easy because:
1) i don't know porsches that well, and things are getting nuts
2) i may need a new head gasket
3) i want to tape up the exhaust manifold, which looks to be a *pain*
4) i have 90% of the parts i need
5) i've done most of the disassembly labor already
6) i really don't feel like installing a new wiring harness and battery leads (yep. they're shot)
7) the shop i will be using will be donating some free labor thanks to them missing a bunch of stuff on the pre-purchase inspection. glad i worked that out w/them!

so, my last session from earlier this week included cleaning/rebuilding the injectors (i still need to get them tested/matched), and cleaning up the engine block a bit.

here's my main wiring harness, after i broke off the melted cheap-*** corrugated plastic sheathing that had melted to the engine block:

my motor, post-degreasing... the cracks and crevasses were filled with almost 1" of oil/dirt:

and, my freshly cleaned and built injectors:

here's the plan of action for getting the engine running... lemme know if i'm missing anything obvious!

1) check head gasket, replace w/widefire if necessary
2) id the wastegate
3) install the venturi delete silicon hoses (provided)
4) run a new hose to the AOS (i may just do this myself as it's so easy)
5) replace all main battery leads (cracked to hell)
6) replace main wiring harness and put thermal sheathing over it (cracked to hell)
7) new plugs and wires (provided)
8) install fuel pressure gauge in the bay, debug from there
9) injectors tested
10) replace my ****ty A/F gauge with my new shiny one: http://www.034motorsport.com/product...tu1nraeo013vo5
11) install the shiny new braided fuel lines
12) put the rail and intake manifold on w/matching bolts (don't ask. please.)

well, i've learned a lot about the car and this will go a long way to helping me maintain it once the damn thing runs again! i'll post more updates as they come.

shane
1st off nice shoes. btw u said something about AOS leaking? you might as well change those 2 seals they are about a dollar for both. its looking good dont give up.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:08 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by Van
Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel isn't a speeding Mercedes SLS...

i think the "glimmer" is more something akin to the gravitational effects of the piles of cash i'm both dropping and about to drop on the car and how those gravity waves bend the light.

the glimmer has a nice red tint from the red shift, as it moves away from me in copious and rapid amounts.

shane

ps- i'd like the benz a lot more if the gull wing doors were actually capable of flight.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
incomplete
Racer

Originally Posted by reno808
1st off nice shoes.
thanks, i picked them out myself!

Originally Posted by reno808
btw u said something about AOS leaking? you might as well change those 2 seals they are about a dollar for both. its looking good dont give up.
good plan. i'll do that asap. did i mention you guys are great?

shane
Old 07-15-2010, 12:06 AM
incomplete
Racer

long time, no update... but things are starting to move along w/my car!

i had the injectors sent out to a local shop for testing and matching, and it turns out two were leaking externally. good thing i found that out... nothing like fuel dribbling on to your block.

i've been scrounging parts from both this and the pelican parts forums, and have "new" used sets of the following to put in the car:
* injector harness (used, lindsey racing)
* engine sensor harness (used, great shape)
* passenger side heat shield (used, not the best shape but will work)
* positive/negative battery leads (used, in good shape to replace the cracked ones)
* batwing (used, not the best shape but will work fine)
* 2 x injectors (used, should be good)

also, as i was poking around, i had two quick part IDs for you guys. i'm a little rusty, and forgot to label one (and the other i'm just curious about):

the first part ID came from my vacuum system as i was tearing it out. i think it was on the brake booster section:

part ID two is attached to the brake booster area, and i think it's the check valve. i tried to take a picture of the model number, and searching on "035 133 517" brought up some weird results. it's an audi/vw part, and one post on pelican parts stated it was a "bypass membrane":

thanks much, and i'm sending the car off to my shop in two or so weeks. they're a specialty honda shop, but do a TON of custom work involving all makes and models. their best mechanic (who happens to be the one who works on my acura rsx-s) has also worked on a few 951s in the past. he and i have looked over the car, pics, and my 'todo' list and he's more than comfortable with the task at hand. as an added bonus, he'll be calling me in at various points in the reassembly so that i can see how things are supposed to look before it's all put back together.

also, as i couldn't wait to get on the track before the 944 is done, i went up to thunderhill raceway in CA last friday w/the acura. the car is stock, except for hawk hps pads and new falken azeni rt-615k tires. i was lapping around 2:18, and chased down a v8 m3. it was a ton of fun! i bumped myself down from advanced (so i didn't have to deal w/the insane power difference between my car and that group's), and had an instructor ride w/me to help me w/trail braking and generally to break me of any bad habits.

i posted some pics of the day here.

in-car video part 1

in-car video part 2, chasing down an m3

enjoy!

Quick Reply: intro, a tale of woe and light at the end of the tunnel!