Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Camshaft tower gasket failure?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft tower gasket failure?

I replaced that gasket about 5 years ago. I have an oil leak hitting my headers. I replaced the rear cap that was cracked, along with the gasket as that had leaked before. I have only three bolts holding it on for now but that worked before. I cleaned off the headers and that side of the engine and it wasn't smoking at first but then started up again. It's obviously dripping oil on the headers as the smoke is not continuous. The camshaft gasket is wet in that area so does that mean it has failed already or do I just need to torque the bolts again?

I'm hoping it's the latter and I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Is it leaking oil from the front or rear of the cam tower? If it is leaking from the front, it is often the small plug behind the cam gear, it gets distorted over time and leaks. If it is from the rear, the key with the rear cork gasket is to NOT overtighten it, or the gasket will split. I usually tighten the 3 6MM bolts that hold it just enough to evenly compress the gasket, and use split lock washers on top of the flat washers so they don't back out.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

It is leaking from the rear. I probably over tightened dang it. I've only had 3 bolts for mine but I see that there are 4 holes in the cap. I was going to get some more washers and install the fourth.

I'll take the cap off this weekend and check the condition of the gasket.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:11 PM
adrian1
Rennlist Member

Sometimes those will come loose from vibration.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:20 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Roger at 928srus has a silicone gasket that goes on the back. It doesn't dry out. I replaced mine last fall after the bottom bolt loosened up and was dumping oil on the exhaust.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've run gasketless with just some yamabond sealent for years on the rear camtower cover. I hate that cork gasket.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Our 16v 928's have this issue and replace it with the silicone gasket. I've replaced quite a few and feel very confident that they won't leak 5 years down the road. Put them on dry and don't over torque the bolts.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Arrgh, looks like the cam tower is leaking. I spotted some oil dripping onto the oil filter housing area today. I did put on a new cork gasket and was careful not to crank on the bolts like a gorilla. Now to order the cam tower gasket and some new bolts.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

What do you guys think of Lindsey's Rubber Coated Steel version?

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...05-199-03.html

They also have a non-cork version for the rear cap

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...05-189-02.html

Unfortunately I just bought an additional 2 cork gaskets for spares in case I messed up anoother on installation.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:55 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine leaked too after I had the head gasket done - cranked the bolts a little back there and it stopped. I wish I would have known about those other types of gaskets before it all got put back together. A cork gasket, WTF was Porsche thinking on that one??
Old 02-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by choinga
mine leaked too after I had the head gasket done - cranked the bolts a little back there and it stopped. I wish I would have known about those other types of gaskets before it all got put back together. A cork gasket, WTF was Porsche thinking on that one??
Right! Cork back there and yet on the oil pump it's just sealant? At least with my having to take the camshaft tower off now I can properly tighten the bolts without contortions and cussing and swearing lol. If I hadn't bought several extra cork gaskets I would upgrade. Heck, might do it anyway darn it.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:42 PM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
What do you guys think of Lindsey's Rubber Coated Steel version?

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...05-199-03.html
Recently installed this LR gasket because of a CCG failure on the rear corner of #4. Then with the LRG, have a leak on front corner of the CCG @ #1. Been driving it and the leak seems to be sealing on it's own. Over years - 1st time that ever happened/several CCG failures. No explanation & no complaint.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:51 PM
Mark-87-951
Burning Brakes

hmm well I ordered the upgraded Lindsey gaskets. Hopefully it seals the leak up right away.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
lejams
Pro

Mine is still leaking a small amount, but not as much as when it was first installed. It doesn't seem to be leaking enough to drip on the header and smoke like it did initially. Wishful thinking it will continue to improve. I talked with DL before I bought mine. They offer this gasket for their solid lifter head. Even though it makes sense that this is the way the gasket should have been made by Porsche in the first place, DL did not offer it in the sense that it would cure CCG failures. Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:25 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark-87-951
I replaced that gasket about 5 years ago. I have an oil leak hitting my headers. I replaced the rear cap that was cracked, along with the gasket as that had leaked before. I have only three bolts holding it on for now but that worked before. I cleaned off the headers and that side of the engine and it wasn't smoking at first but then started up again. It's obviously dripping oil on the headers as the smoke is not continuous. The camshaft gasket is wet in that area so does that mean it has failed already or do I just need to torque the bolts again?

I'm hoping it's the latter and I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Replace your cam cover gasket. The metal one from LR is fine, and better than the stock gasket. Oil leaking to your headers is usually from the cam cover gasket. I think it's from excessive pressure, or more than the scrivined engineered limits, as I've been guilty of since I've been a fan of these cars.

My headers have cought fire twice, and I've not had any issues since I've installed the LR steam vent and their metal gasket. Know I've had a few experiences with fire from my hot headers because of oil dripping on them from a blown cam cover gasket.

Don't like it, and hate to fill my bottle. I suppose we have to have them up to date, but not because we used them. I'm hoping that their steam vent and their metal gasket holds up so I don't fear the fire. So far go good.

G

Quick Reply: Camshaft tower gasket failure?