Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

2pc Crossover Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
xupkid2
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2pc Crossover Leak

Anyone have problems with a 2pc crossover leaking from the connection. Mine has a copper gasket and vband and when I pressurize the pipe it leaks at the joint. I made sure by submerging it in water.

I was going to just replace the copper gasket but Im concerned that even with that it wont seal propoerly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Brian
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a lot of thoughts about the crossover pipe, none of which are able to be submitted here. Some are illegal in at least 13 states.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know we were concerned about illegal stuff here. Considering I don't have a cat and I am using a catch can. Better call the police.

But seriously, I have the same problem with my 2 piece LR X-over pipe. I think I need a new V-band clamp because when I tightened it down it wasn't lined up perfectly and the edges of the clamp got pushed out. This time I will get the wastegate and header side bolted in and then jack up the pipe slightly to line up the the 2 pieces and then clamp it on tight. If that doesn't work I'll probably have to get a new X-over pipe all together.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:31 PM
brrgrr
Racer

I have fought leaks with mine as well. I've got one of the very early ones, so it is actually a 3 piece ! It's a great concept, but that is the LAST place you want exhaust leaks. I've considered going back to the one piece for that reason.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I do a similar mod for my customers when I install an engine– except I use a three bolt flange with an Oring – just the same as the connection on the header side. It seems to work better…and its up a little higher by the O2 sensor, no problem fitting to the engine / chassis.

I still have a bunch of laser cut flanges in case anybody needs the mod done…
Old 02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

I have a leak at the y pipe I had welded, at the exhaust manifold flanges, and right after the wastegate... I used to have one flange actually loose on the car until I tightened it. I didn't find out I had another leak until the car flooded one time and fuel dripped out of the exhaust mani right where it bolts up to the exhaust ports. I basically need to just purchase an entirely new system from engine to turbo.

I'd love to have a local shop fab up a front mount, equal length, tuned primary length, turbo manifold and get rid of the cross over system all together if it weren't such an involved process.

Quick Reply: 2pc Crossover Leak