Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do you have people constantly telling you to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have come up with a formula; EV + DV x Repair/Parts Cost = Driving/Ownership Pleasure

Where: EV = Expected Value - What did you expect of the vehicle when you bought it?

DV= Distinctive Value - Is there distinction or Uniqueness in your ride?

Repair/Parts cost - How much does it cost to operate the vehicle

So, if I had a reasonable Expected value, what it can do, what it can provide me with and add the decent Distictive Value of our cars (even when called a Ferrari!) multiplied by the repair costs (cheap if you do your own) and parts cost (Some are cheap some are very expensive) then I should arrive at some sort of value for ownership.
I haven't attached numbers to this formula, but my Driving/Ownership level is very high and that's all that counts!

People will always pay a premium for anything that is Unique, Rare or Precious
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Scott98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Yep, that's exactly right.

There's also the sad situation of a guy (deep down a car guy) who outwardly disapproves of other men acting irresponsible in regards to cars (unnecessary expense, driving faster than the minivan in the next lane, etc.) because he's been castrated and beaten into submission (metaphorically) by his significant other; ironically the same woman who was originally attracted to him because he was a man who lived in his reality and one of his passions happen to be cars.
I'm specifying the genders, here, because I don't think it's ever the other way around.

No driver friendly car is an investment, really.
If you have a passion for something, you exercise it. It's only the jealous that reprimand you for owning your car. It's not financial jealousy (late 80's 951; yeah right), but the envy that they're not able to exercise the will of doing what they really wanna do.
Most of us have been there; trying to escape a box we've created for ourselves.
Sad story and well said. I have a true passion for cars. In fact, it is about the only thing I am really into. There are two kinds of reactions I really get PO'd about. The first is that people think you are throwing money away when buying a....gasp....."Porsche." The second is when I tell people what kind of car I'm thinking about getting - an older Porsche or Ferrari for example (from the 80s) they immediately think I'm rich OR they kind of get this disgusted look on their faces when they find out I'm looking at 20+ year old cars (God forbid I drive something more than 5 years old - after all, who wants to drive an old piece of junk?). Then that is sometimes followed with a smart a$$ comment about, why don't you get a newer one? Well, I can't afford a newer one.

This is what I really like about car clubs and web forums such as this one - people who "get it." I am proud that my main car is a 1982 Mercedes 240D diesel with 300k+ on the odometer (you should see the looks I get when I tell people that!). My second car that I'm currently in the market for will likely be a 20+ year old Porsche 951. If you don't like what I drive, f&#@ off!

End of rant,

Scott
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Funny... never had people randomly tell me to sell the Porsche. The *motorcycle* on the other hand... I couldn't go a week without someone telling me how "dangerous" and "stupid" and "childish" they were. Frankly I'm kinda glad I don't have a bike anymore, specifically for this reason!

As for the Porsche - I do get a few compliments on occasion, which I honestly did NOT expect when I bought it. I figured it would slip under ther radar most of the time. One guy told me I had a "nice Datsun" (LOL) when picking up my son at daycare in it one day. He was a little surprised when I told him it was actually an old Porsche (but was genuine in his compliment.) My 2nd or 3rd day I had the car, the wife and I ran out for ice cream in it. The particular ice cream shop we went to tends to be the suburban teeny-bopper hangout on summer evenings, and as we were walking out there were a few young kids hanging out on their sportbikes that said, "Damn whose Porsche is that??" I've also had people give me the "thumbs up" while sitting in traffic, etc.

One thing I *do* hate is the "OH you must be RICH!" type response I get from non-car people when they find out I have one. Drives me nuts. (And for the record, I rarely, if ever, actually tell anyone as IMO it's none of their business what I drive.)

Quick Reply: Do you have people constantly telling you to sell?