Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

89 S power seat not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 S power seat not working

I have an 89 S and the other day I leaned the drivers seat way back, but then when I hit the button to make the seat lean forward again nothing happened... All of the other power switches work fine, and I can even make it go backwards more, but forward does nothing.

I clicked it quite a few times just in case the switch contacts were dirty, but still nothing.
I don't hear any relays clicking or the motor even attempting to move. What is the troubleshooting procedure from here?

How hard is it to remove the seat?
Is there a manual override for the adjustment?

thanks!
This is quite an annoying failure as the seat leaned back makes it pretty impossible to drive
Old 01-26-2010, 04:06 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

I had a seat button fail. One day it worked fine. Next time I used it I have to hit it a couple of times. Next time nothing. I found a used one. Seat comes out by removing bolts in the seat tracks. One at the front and two at the rear of each track. You also have to unplug the electrical connector for all of it, accessible under the seat from the rear. Be careful with your back when you lift out the seat, it is heavy.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
vette951s
Racer

If you need one, I have a 8 way power seat that came out of a SilverRose car. Fabric is bad, power works good in all directions so you can do a transplant! Car had about 50K miles when removed. $125 plus shipping from Napa.

John
Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 AM
aventari
Instructor

thanks, I'll try to just remove the switch and jump it to see if the motor works. I hope it's just the switch, though I may hit you up for the seat John
Old 01-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

The contacts in the seat switch burn. You can get a used switch but it might be nearly cooked also.

If you are careful you can take the switch apart in the car but it is easier to do with the seat out. Removing the seat is easy if the seat can be moved forwards and backward.

If you take the seat switches apart you can use dielectric grease or petroleum jelly to hold the ***** and springs in place while you put it back together.

Clean and polish the contacts inside and it should work again. The better the polishing the longer the switch will last.

-Joel.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
manticore33
Racer

You can take the switches apart and clean the contacts (which arch / corrode easily). The switches are quite mechanical with ball bearings, springs, and whatnot. Just be sure to pull the power seat fuse. You can actually disassemble the switch with the seat still in the car. There was a write up on it somewhere in the 911 forums.

Quick Reply: 89 S power seat not working