Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Time (how long) to swap engine in 951?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Time (how long) to swap engine in 951?

This question came up on an audi forum I'm on, figured I'd post this here to try and find an answer for him. The guy is trying to figure out the time it would take to swap an engine in a 88 951 for a customer. Alldata told him it would take 31 hours for a turbo, 17 for NA.

Anyone have any real world data on what it takes to realistically swap an engine? Is alldata accurate?

I wouldn't think it would take 14 more hours on a turbo if you drop everything out the bottom with as much intact as possible.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To JUST drop a motor and replace it with a motor that's ready to install? 14 hours for someone that has never done it before sounds reasonable. If I had an engine that was ready to go, I could probably do it in 8 hours. With a lift it would be even easier. In order to swap an engine, you just have to remove the cooling system, drop the front suspension and crossmember, then unbolt the exhaust and bellhousing. In the words of Haynes, "Installation is the reverse of removal."
Old 01-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

For most people it usually takes 6 months...

30 hours is about right it you want to go from a running engine to installing and firing up another engine. There is a lot of hoses / wires and stuff to get the project running again after the new engine is in place.

Keep in mind that this is at ‘shop’ pace and not at the ‘fast as you can’ car owner pace!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM
jlturpin
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well stated.
Originally Posted by Chris White
For most people it usually takes 6 months...

30 hours is about right it you want to go from a running engine to installing and firing up another engine. There is a lot of hoses / wires and stuff to get the project running again after the new engine is in place.

Keep in mind that this is at ‘shop’ pace and not at the ‘fast as you can’ car owner pace!

Quick Reply: Time (how long) to swap engine in 951?