Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Black smoke...oil burning smell.. turbo seals ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:16 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Black smoke...oil burning smell.. turbo seals ?

Wondering if I am correct about this. When on boost, there is black smoke out the exhaust. When on boost, I can smell burning oil coming from the engine bay. When I look at the turbo, it has some oil and dirt on it it. There is also some oil in the intercooler pipes. Could it be the turbo oil seals. Are the seals just the ones that seal the oil hoses going to the turbo or are there interior seals. Would it be easier/ cheaper to buy a new turbo( k26/6)?
thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 10:33 AM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black smoke indicates a rich A/F ratio. Blue smoke would be oil in the combustion chamber. Sounds more like you have a small oil leak that is dripping onto the downpipe or crossover pipe and being burned off. Some oil in the intercooler piping is normal for the KKK turbos.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There are internal seals in turbos that can go bad and leak causing oil ingestion. Don't immediately think you need a new turbo tho. Check out everything thoroughly first. There are two o-rings that seal the upper and lower oil galleys and they can leak, causing the center cartridge and surrounding areas to get messy. As stated by brrgrr, oil in the intake tract is normal so long as it isn't in excess.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:09 PM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
There are internal seals in turbos that can go bad and leak causing oil ingestion. Don't immediately think you need a new turbo tho. Check out everything thoroughly first. There are two o-rings that seal the upper and lower oil galleys and they can leak, causing the center cartridge and surrounding areas to get messy. As stated by brrgrr, oil in the intake tract is normal so long as it isn't in excess.
Ok, thank you! I will check the seals when I install the downpipe and testpipe

Quick Reply: Black smoke...oil burning smell.. turbo seals ?