Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Safety Devices cage / roll bar question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Safety Devices cage / roll bar question

Anyone know if i buy the rear section (roll bar), can the front section (cage) be added on at a later time, or is the rear section different between the two kits? Looking at the diagram, it looks as if the only difference is the complete cage lacks the crossbar behind the rear seats.

I am thinking of replacing my Redline Rollbar in favor of something a little more sturdy. I like the idea of adding in door bars and support along the a-pillar eventually.. but laying out the total cost for the complete roll cage is painful.. its much less painful if i could buy the two sections separately . I also like the idea of being able to run a seat back brace with the Safety Devices cage.

http://www.stableenergies.com/Roll-C...nfo/SD%2DP944/

http://www.stableenergies.com/Roll-B...fo/SD%2DP44RR/

Luckily Stable Energies is only about a hour drive from me so i can save on the shipping cost.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

From talking to stable energies, I believe you can get just the rear section and then add the front part on later. They said they'll also add an extra set of door bars to the cage if you want to make it legal for club racing (I believe you need two sets of door bars there). You probably know this already, but in case you didn't catch it, you'll need to weld mounting plates into your car to mount the stable energies bar
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Is that even with the bolt in bar or only with the front section?
Old 01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

You'll have to weld mounting plates to the floor for the rear section as well as the front (4 plates total). Note that you now need a full cage for club racing, and unless SD redesigned the system from when I purchased mine (~6 years ago), you'll need to add an extra diagonal and door bar for NASA events.

If you want to wait a couple years you can have mine. ;-)

If you're gonna pay someone to install it (figure 10 hours for the entire cage), going custom isn't that much more and you get better protection. I wish I had taken that route. Don't get me wrong, the SD cage fits relatively well, but doesn't offer the level of safety or chassis strengthening as a well-designed custom cage.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:41 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Good info, thanks. I do not plan on doing any club racing, if i did, i think id by an S2 or 8v n/a. This is mostly for DE which thankfully i am now in a position to do more often...with the exception of the 1700 miles away from the car thing .

I did not think it would take that long to install (But what do i know!). I wouldnt mind doing a more custom cage, plus John Hajny (RedlineMan) isnt too far from me either so not a big deal to bring my car up to him. With the cost of the Safety Devices cage plus the install you are probably right i am not too far off a custom weld in. Something to think about for next winter when i take the car off the road again.

Quick Reply: Safety Devices cage / roll bar question