Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Played with an EVO today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Played with an EVO today

Had an Evo 8 "MR" merge onto the highway side by side with me on the way home from work.... did a 3rd gear into 4th gear run and pulled him pretty easily. I waited for him to catch up and do it again, but he just gave me a thumbs up and hit the exit. Must have been relatively stock - I know those things can be wicked fast with some mods.

Anybody own one or spend some serious time in one ? I've always wondered about them.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I like them, but they feel like a low end Hyudani Accent on the inside. Also, no power until 4.5K+ rpms. Awesome traction !
Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
JC951
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can put about 7k or less into one and run 1/4 mile under 10 seconds. one of my friends has an evo 9
Old 01-10-2010, 07:40 PM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was all simulated, right?
Old 01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

A buddy of mine used to have an MR. At the time that I rode in it, it just had a few bolt-ons (exhaust, a tune done by AMS, sticky brake pads) and it was an absolute animal on the track (we did a DE at Gingerman, I rode shotgun for a session.) I was *really* impressed with how HARD the car pulled, and it handled REALLY well.

They do tend to run out of steam at higher speeds though. Just like the WRX - they're modeled after rally cars, which tend to be geared super short. Makes for quick spurts of power and they pull like mad below 100mph. But get up over 100 and they start to run out of aero and gear.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

What mods are done to your car? (if any)
Old 01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
brrgrr
Racer

Of course, it was simulated on a closed course !

The highlights on my mods - (The full list is pretty long)

Kokeln stage 5 turbo (similar to LR super 61)
LR - MAF, Mafterburner, DP wastegate, MBC, stage II head, stage II intercooler
65 lb injectors, Adj. FPR, Tech Edge WBO2. LR tune to insure good AFR's.
3" SFR full exhaust, jet hot coated intake manifold and exhaust manifold
Dyno'd 315whp @ 16 psi boost

I was running 15 psi boost at the time of the simulated run.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:48 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Evos are only effective up to third gear, beyond 90 mph, their 57" height really works against them as opposed to our 50"....
Old 01-10-2010, 11:34 PM
spoolin51
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LFA951
Evos are only effective up to third gear, beyond 90 mph, their 57" height really works against them as opposed to our 50"....
I didnt know that really made much difference...
Old 01-11-2010, 02:49 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by spoolin51
drag coefficient is only one part of the equation, the smaller the frontal area the better. I read on the RL archives a guy who ran in his simulator vs a viper rt and left him at very very high speed. 951 drag coefficient is .32 or .32 I don't remember but the frontal area is very small.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep from memory the CdA (drag coefficient x frontal area) of the 951 was the lowest of any production car when it came out.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
LFA951
Drifting

Originally Posted by spoolin51
Actually it makes a huge difference, if you look at the roadtests for the Evo, you will see that it's times are rather impressive up to 80 mph and anything beyond just gets longer in between afterwards...
Old 01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
They do tend to run out of steam at higher speeds though. Just like the WRX - they're modeled after rally cars, which tend to be geared super short. Makes for quick spurts of power and they pull like mad below 100mph. But get up over 100 and they start to run out of aero and gear.
Actually it makes a huge difference, if you look at the roadtests for the Evo, you will see that it's times are rather impressive up to 80 mph and anything beyond just gets longer in between afterwards...
Gearing has a lot more to do with it than height. Drive an EVO and you'll quickly learn how short the gears are and why it falls on it's face at high speeds.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

Lol, that does hold true for every car out there though to be honest.
I'm not disagreeing with you however, as drag becomes more parasitic the faster you go and it isn't linear either.
The evo is pretty close to the 944 in terms of Cd but I'm sure the area of drag will be greater with the wing included.

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Gearing has a lot more to do with it than height. Drive an EVO and you'll quickly learn how short the gears are and why it falls on it's face at high speeds.
Really though, shorter gears will help accelerate the car quicker during each gear.
It will lose time when it shifts compared to a car that does not, but a lot of times that is negligible, especially with the new dual clutch transmissions. The evo has enough gearing to get over 160 mph so gearing won't play a role in any race that isn't taken to extreme speeds.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by brrgrr
Had an Evo 8 "MR" merge onto the highway side by side with me on the way home from work.... did a 3rd gear into 4th gear run and pulled him pretty easily. I waited for him to catch up and do it again, but he just gave me a thumbs up and hit the exit. Must have been relatively stock - I know those things can be wicked fast with some mods.

Anybody own one or spend some serious time in one ? I've always wondered about them.

I had a 2004 Evolution with many upgrades. Dyno showed just under 450whp running 91 octane and boost spiking to 30lbs. Car was really fun. It was one of the best handling cars I've ever owned and was very quick up to about 120mph. This car didn't feel as fast as my old 89 951 with 330whp.

It's interesting to me that the 951 cars seem to be faster than similar rides with similar power. I've had three 944's and modded all of them. Where an EVO has it over the 951 is the drags and very short tracks. Add some dirt, and the EVO is the clear winner by miles.

We were at Arroyo Seco one weekend, and I'd blow the doors off the EVO cars in the straights in my 430whp 2.5 951. I'd come out of the last tight bend with them nibbling at me, and hit the straight and I'd be 20 car lengths ahead prior to hard braking at about 130 for the next round of tight corners. Granted, I didn't have the suspension then that this car has now, but this shows how well these cars handle.

The EVO motors can handle boost and mods well. Much cheaper to mod, and easy to drive at the limits than a 951.

The downside is they are cheap Lancers. Upside is that they have the best of the Mitsubishi Racing parts bin installed everywhere it counts. The EVO platform is the **** when it comes to Rally car racing experience.

Driving a modded EVO on the highway gives me a headache, even with a decent stereo.

If you want a kick *** fun car that will perform as well as most anything up to 120mph, this car is a contender. You can replace the turbo in 30 minutes, replace a clutch in a few hours, and parts are cheap. Plus, it will hold five of your friends.

I drive Toyota/Lexus cars daily. One for work, and one for offroading/family trips. My sports car is a 951. Tried much else, and the 951 is my favorite. Decided to build my 951 to keep up with most anything available today. HP is addictive, and the 951 takes mods well. It just costs way more than the car is worth to anyone other than the hopeful happy owner. This sings true with any car that you mod, it's just that modding a 951 to 450 whp costs much more than modding an EVO to similar results.

Add in the costs of doing this to a 20 year old car, and you have a pile of reciepts proving you are a nut.

George

Quick Reply: Played with an EVO today