Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

PS rack boot jam

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS rack boot jam

Update: Everyone, including the Porsche dealer in Indy couldn't get the bellows until Fri or Mon, until I remembered Oreilly's has their distribution center near my house. Called the store this am, said they can have it from the warehouse in 1 hour. Nice rack going in later...

PS rack bellows needed... I'm back after a long delay, started car for the first time in a year last weekend. All new cooling hoses, vacuum hoses, venturi delete, WP, rollers, belts, Max chips, WH injector cleaning, and too many new parts to list. I got my rebuilt rack from Autozone today, pulled the old one (40 minutes, no kidding). The new rack didn't come with bellows or inner TRs. The TRs are good and tight, but I need bellows and dont want to wait until this weekend. I cant find any in Indy for at least 2 days. Its a long shot, but if any of the Indiana guys have a couple, I'd come get em and have new ones delivered to you, or pay.

Last edited by Tedro951; 01-06-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Update
Old 01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No help on the bellows, but I just got a rack from Autozone myself.
It came with inner tierods and bellows.
Strange....

Certenly can't beat the price of the AZ rack. I've heard nothing bad about it and know several who have one.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Not sure what to think. The ATSCO website says the 86 944 rack comes without inner TRs, but you got lucky. I can live with the nasty paint, but the rubber plug that was jammed in the inspection hole by a 10MM bolt had to be fished out in chunks. I'm thinking that the $380 racks might be a better deal if you need the inners and bellows, if anyone can confirm they come with them. I've got $40 in bellows alone.
I had the pressure hose from the pump to the rack rebuilt for $30, but for the life of me I cant make the line from the rack that runs on top the crossmember myself. The hose guy said to just use clamps and bulk line. I tried, but the radius of the 180degree portion near the rack is too much for me. Trying to cobble the reservoir to rack rubber pieces was an ordeal with all of the different sizes, clamps, etc. I ordered the genuine line this morning...
Old 01-08-2010, 02:48 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The rack boots are $20 from pelican.
Did you try taking your old lines to a hydroluic shop?
Old 01-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

The Moog boots were $20 each at Oreillys. The hose shop did the pressure line and it looks like new. They said the other could be done at home with hose clamps and bulk trans line. I bought trans line at Earls. 3/8 and 5/16s. Cutting off the old crimped connections was easy with a cutoff wheel. The problem is the first hose section, from the reservoir to the PS cooler is 1/2 on the res end, and 3/8 on the metal line end. Try pushing braided 3/8 over 1/2 res barb. The short piece that has hose clamps from the factory, between the cooler and the rack hard line was the only one that wasn't mickey moused. The next bastard hose is the 8 inch long 180degree molded piece that attaches to the rack via banjo. I managed to get the piece on, but with the rack bolted up its pushing against the L motor mount. I really wanted to save some $$ on it, but it wasn't worth it.

Quick Reply: PS rack boot jam