Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Questions for KEP pressure plate users

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I can't tell for sure from that picture, but it looks like the starter ring may be on the pressure plate upside down? The outer side has recesses for the bolt heads, so that they don't sit too high. If the starter ring is on backwards, the bolts sit flush on the ring and will seem too short when you install it. That might explain why you had to clamp it to install the pp.
Tom, great catch. I did have the ring gear on backwards which certainly attributed to my difficulty bolting the PP on.

I measured the disk as 10mm (uncompressed), with each friction disk being 4mm thick.

I also just noticed something that could be causing my problem. My flywheel has been machined flat at some point in it's life before I bought the car. When I look at pics of new flywheels (like on Paragon's website), I see there is a step between the PP and disk contact areas. Is this a problem if my flywheel is flat?

Thanks,
Jerome
Old 01-03-2010, 10:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Tom, great catch. I did have the ring gear on backwards which certainly attributed to my difficulty bolting the PP on.

I measured the disk as 10mm (uncompressed), with each friction disk being 4mm thick.

I also just noticed something that could be causing my problem. My flywheel has been machined flat at some point in it's life before I bought the car. When I look at pics of new flywheels (like on Paragon's website), I see there is a step between the PP and disk contact areas. Is this a problem if my flywheel is flat?

Thanks,
Jerome
Don't know why Paragon shows that picture. All 944 turbo flywheels I've seen are flat (with a little lip around the outer edge). I just had a brand new one in a Porsche box, and it was flat as well.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:52 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Thanks Tom. Looks like they used a NA or S2 pic. Almost had me rushing out to buy a new flywheel.

I did a little bench assembling this afternoon and think everything looks OK. I'll try to reinstall later this week...

Quick Reply: Questions for KEP pressure plate users