Fidanza Flywheel tricks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 04:19 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fidanza Flywheel tricks?

Hi all,

Well , had the 951 in the shop getting a KEp clutch installed. When they removed everything, they said my flywheel was damaged beyond what could be repeaired and I needed a new flywheel. The shop could get an ORM Porsche one for $600 something.

Instead I bought a Fidanza flywheel and had it overnighted. Doing a seach, I saw more recomendations (or happy 951ers) for the Fidanza than the Spec clutch so that is the one I bought. It just got here today so I will drop the flywheel off first things monday morning.

Are there any special tricks that I should tell them about the Fidanza flywheel?

TIA
-Dana
Old 12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess make sure the pins for the speed sensors are the same height...and tell the mechanic not to drop the flywheel on said pins.

This mod really wakes the car up, youre going to love it.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Double and triple check the clearance on the reference pin, then use Lock-Tite on it. Then check the height again.
Old 12-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

and you HAVE to get it balanced...I have install a lot of them, the factory balance is not good.

It also a good idea to add the TDC marks (there are two) - you will be much happier next time you do the belts!
Old 12-26-2009, 11:19 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Chris,

Should it be balanced once the starter gear ring is bolted on? Should it be balanced with the PP on it? Not sure how they do that, but I guess a machine shop should know how to do it?

Thanks
-Dana
Old 12-26-2009, 11:35 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Whats does a commercial link to shoes have to do with a flywheel?

-Dana
Old 12-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Chris,

Should it be balanced once the starter gear ring is bolted on? Should it be balanced with the PP on it? Not sure how they do that, but I guess a machine shop should know how to do it?

Thanks
-Dana
Ring gear doesn’t really matter - its pretty well balanced.

Do make sure the triggers have been set in place before balancing and make sure your pressure plate bolts are all the same weight.
I balance the pressure plate separately since it can be bolted on three different orientations – and you might switch pressure plates later, then you would have to rebalance the whole set up.

If you are pretty sure you will not want to change any components later then you can get the whole assembly balanced together – but make sure you mark the orientation of the pressure plate and which bolt goes in which hole.

The connection to the shoe add is obvious – screw this up and you are walking….A corvette friend of mine sent this to me yesterday……chump.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:36 PM
95ONE
Race Car

... Absolutely on the reference stud.. And PLEASE mark TDC on the new flywheel as Chris stated.. I did not do this and had a hell of a time tuning after that.
Old 12-26-2009, 01:24 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahahahaha... Chris, that video is priceless. My wife said, "Aren't the tires supposed to be turning for it to be a burnoff?" My thoughts exactly.
Old 12-26-2009, 03:23 PM
choinga
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Fidanza flywheel (spec clutch) in my car - but my PO put it in and I've never driven a car that doesn't have this configuration. I like it, but it was the toughest clutch I've ever had to get used to...it's either on or off...no margin for error. No one has ever been able to get my car moving on their first try.

I think, or at least some other folks more mechanically inclined than I on these cars tell me, that the lightweight flywheel amplifies some low gear whine. I'm using Swepco 210 in my tranny now and it's a little better, but it's pretty noisy back there when coasting in 1st and 2nd...definitely worried me after I first got the car but I've been assured that everything is alright back there...

Supposedly the lighter flywheel gets you to RPM faster but I'm guessing the downside is that you need very quick shifts or you'll lose RPM equally as fast between. I dunno, the tranny is not my speciality...

That said, after getting used to it - it's a blast. Have fun!!
Old 12-26-2009, 03:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

I bet the clutch job on the zo6 still cheaper than the one for a 951

Quick Reply: Fidanza Flywheel tricks?