944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

WANTED: Turbo S Torsion Bars (25.5mm)

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009 | 06:14 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Default WANTED: Turbo S Torsion Bars (25.5mm)

Just renewed my membership to make this thread

Looking for 25.5mm torsion bars (preferably) These are from a Turbo S.

Show me what you have though in other sizes though too.

Last edited by ritzblitz; 12-24-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2009 | 10:10 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Anyone?
Old 12-24-2009 | 10:51 AM
2bridges
Drifting

hey ritz - for as big of a job as Tbars are you may seriously consider a heavier bar. they are not expensive, and matched with the m030 struts (converted to accept std springs) you can get into a much better setup pretty cheap assuming you have the struts already.

Even the S is so softly sprung..... a total waste of time changing over a non s, to the s spring rates. I would not go anything under a 325#front and 29mm Tbar for even a street car myself. Just my 02

Happy Holiday!
Old 12-24-2009 | 11:14 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Hrmm thanks for the advice dude. The car is street/autox/track. I have no money, I figured the Turbo S bars would be a good, cost effective upgrade.

But I'm open to offers on bigger bars.

Someone linked these over on Pelican. Any experiences with them? http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.a...Search1=Search
Old 12-24-2009 | 11:37 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Used Tbars are not a good investment, like all spring devices, the spring strength decreases over 20 years. Save up and get some sway-a-way bars, It is a lot of work replacing Tbars and it takes many tries to get the correct ride height. You do not want replace them more then once. You might find someone who has gone to coil overs and has a set of newer Tbars they could sell.

If you go to 28-29 Tbars, you will need to get bigger springs up front. You can find people selling front stock aftermarket springs all the time.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 12-24-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-24-2009 | 12:34 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by ritzblitz
Hrmm thanks for the advice dude. The car is street/autox/track. I have no money, I figured the Turbo S bars would be a good, cost effective upgrade.

But I'm open to offers on bigger bars.

Someone linked these over on Pelican. Any experiences with them? http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.a...Search1=Search
Don't know anything about those bars except they are less than half of other retailers....... red flags go up for me.... who knows the quality.

I purchased mine from Paragon - $295 I recall - whatever size you want
Old 12-24-2009 | 12:39 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Yeah, that's why i asked. Cause red flags went up for me too.

Maybe i can swing this as a christmas gift.
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:00 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Agreed with these other guys. I have 28's on mine and i feel like that's the way the car should have come from the factory (they are still plenty compliant!).

If you're going to do torsion bars, you might seriously look into the elephant racing poly-bronze bushings. The rubber ones are usually pretty deformed after 20-some years, and the cheaper delrin (or whatever they are) bushings supposedly start to squeak and bind pretty quickly after installation. Unfortunately i found that out AFTER i had bought my torsion bars, so that added another $300 to the install :/ If i had to do it all over again i'd probably just buy a rear coil-over conversion and save yourself the hassle of indexing the torsion bars (although i got lucky with mine and nailed it the first time )
Old 12-24-2009 | 01:14 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Agreed with these other guys. I have 28's on mine and i feel like that's the way the car should have come from the factory (they are still plenty compliant!).

If you're going to do torsion bars, you might seriously look into the elephant racing poly-bronze bushings. The rubber ones are usually pretty deformed after 20-some years, and the cheaper delrin (or whatever they are) bushings supposedly start to squeak and bind pretty quickly after installation. Unfortunately i found that out AFTER i had bought my torsion bars, so that added another $300 to the install :/ If i had to do it all over again i'd probably just buy a rear coil-over conversion and save yourself the hassle of indexing the torsion bars (although i got lucky with mine and nailed it the first time )
ah yes that reminds me -

weltmeistr makes those bushings... they are a hard polly bushing not rubber and are $60 as I recall. I wanted but could not justify the elephant racing ones at 5X the price. There is a specific lube to use on the hard bushings - I have had no squeak issues myself.
Old 12-24-2009 | 02:03 PM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

I agree with the above post of going heavier. I have 29mm and 300# front springs - some overstear so I am thinking of going to 350# springs to bring back a slight understear.
Old 12-24-2009 | 03:05 PM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Hmm I'm going to have to do some thinking about this. I'm currently running 200# weltmeister front springs. Installing the turbo s tbars in back should dial out some understeer and balance the car pretty well.

I think for the price, I'm going to put the turbo s tbars in because one thing I want to address is the ride height. After all, I can always run a helper setup in back if I get a heavier front spring setup. But for now, I think the car will be pretty well suited with #200 front springs and 25.5mm rear torsion bars. Or am I wrong?

I'll also be purchasing 968 M030 sway bars in the near future, so that will offer a little more adjustability.

Quick Reply: WANTED: Turbo S Torsion Bars (25.5mm)