Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Home Made MAF

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 08:19 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about the IAT sensor, I know the MAF's actually measure the air temp as it passes the air but I see some of the high end Maf kits add a temp sensor. I think I read in the Tuner Pro thread about flattening the DME temp compensation.
So what is the current feeling on the IAT is it an issue? I did a search and found tons of info but no real answer.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:59 PM
spyder348
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test run with new garrett turbo, afc neo, lightning maf, and thermal wrapped 40 series pvc intake went nice for 5 minutes @20 psi but then blew the o-ring on the seal plate. Anyone know where to find this seal. The big thin o-ring behind the snail shell.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by 951_RS
guess I'm going to pull the trigger and get a 90mm lightning maf. Found one with housing for $40 on craigslist. What would be a better solution than using the SAFC2 as I hear it's really not the best set up
SAFC is plenty capable, why do you think it is not?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:58 AM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by schip43
What about the IAT sensor, I know the MAF's actually measure the air temp as it passes the air but I see some of the high end Maf kits add a temp sensor. I think I read in the Tuner Pro thread about flattening the DME temp compensation.
So what is the current feeling on the IAT is it an issue? I did a search and found tons of info but no real answer.
The main thing that IAT will do is cause a drifting tune due to changes in weather... That is why it needs to be flattened on-chip.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:41 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Sooo, if I add a MAf get a piggy back could I send my MAx chip in to have them flatten that function for me?
Old 01-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

You would have to ask them...
Old 01-03-2010, 05:36 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

I'll call and ask, thanks.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spyder348
Test run with new garrett turbo, afc neo, lightning maf, and thermal wrapped 40 series pvc intake went nice for 5 minutes @20 psi but then blew the o-ring on the seal plate. Anyone know where to find this seal. The big thin o-ring behind the snail shell.
wow, you got that all set up and installed fast.

o ring for the turbo?

Nice use on the PVC for intake pipes. Not sure why more people don't use it. It will not hold up for IC pipes, but fine for intake and super cheap compared to any vendor sold piping.

Did you get bigger injectors? You will NEED them for anything over 15psi and that MAF.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM
spyder348
Pro

Up and running but not even close to looking like a nice car. No dash. No seats. lol just wanted to see what all the hype was about and now i understand these cars do have potential. Im using 72's from racetronix. paid 230$. Pvc intake is the way to go. Looks cool. Pipe is the same dia. as the maf running all the way to the turbo. Id imagine there is no restriction there whatsoever.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

I would steer clear from PVC even as an intake pipe (let alone IC piping)...it emits a noxious gas when heated which could cause corrosion of the aluminum cylinder head. Do it right...
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Up and running but not even close to looking like a nice car. No dash. No seats. lol just wanted to see what all the hype was about and now i understand these cars do have potential. Im using 72's from racetronix. paid 230$. Pvc intake is the way to go. Looks cool. Pipe is the same dia. as the maf running all the way to the turbo. Id imagine there is no restriction there whatsoever.
how did you set up the SAFC? i.e. which sensor, etc.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
spyder348
Pro

I thermal wrapped the pipe. After the run felt the inside of the pipe it must have been no more than 75degrees. engine was up to normal temp. todd if your asking me i just hooked up the neo like the instructions said to. dialed in the best i could with the lightning maf. ran ok at higher speeds idling crappy and low end but thats because i didnt take more than 5 minutes messing with it. once i get the car back together for good im going to mess with the signal a lot more, also work on learning tunerpro.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:43 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

I thermal wrapped the pipe. After the run felt the inside of the pipe it must have been no more than 75degrees. engine was up to normal temp. todd if your asking me i just hooked up the neo like the instructions said to. dialed in the best i could with the lightning maf. ran ok at higher speeds idling crappy and low end but thats because i didnt take more than 5 minutes messing with it. once i get the car back together for good im going to mess with the signal a lot more, also work on learning tunerpro.
Ok. Do you have a chip for the new injectors or just control idle with the Neo?

I was not sure you could adjust idle much with a piggy back since it is open loop then and any adjustments are pulled back by the DME?? As when I have tried and watching real time wideband it adjusts but then seems to go back to the a/f. Rouge?

5 min? Nice! Goes to show that even though not "plug and play" it only takes very little time and effort to get it all tuned and for 1/10th the cost.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Rogue_Ant
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Small Business Partner

Originally Posted by toddk911
I was not sure you could adjust idle much with a piggy back since it is open loop then and any adjustments are pulled back by the DME?? As when I have tried and watching real time wideband it adjusts but then seems to go back to the a/f. Rouge?
Yes, idle is closed-loop. So the DME will try to correct to maintain a ~14.7:1 AFR. However, the DME will only adjust so much...

Quick Reply: Home Made MAF