944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My new Lightwieght Fr Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009 | 01:53 AM
User 41221
Banned

HD foam doesn't work in that application. Its got to have a structural tie to the substructure to absorb energy or else it tends to follow the path of least resistance and move out of the way. You really need a rigid structure at the front of your car. According to second hand info I got from one engineer from Porsche, the reason for the solid piece was cost, not strength.

Regards,
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:18 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

it is no good as a structual thing but I was basically suggesting one fill the bumper shocks with it front and rear .. and it be captive .. i know it would work perhaps not a well as oil and gas but definably better than nothing
If put in different spots mindfully so it would get compressive load's during impact it would defiantly be helpful.. if it didn't work w'ed all still be wearing leather and horse hair brain buckets
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:25 AM
User 41221
Banned

ah, I misunderstood where you were talking about using the foam. I'm not sure how well it would work on a track car, but it'd still be a big problem on a street car with an insurance adjuster.

Regards,
Old 12-08-2009 | 03:09 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

BTW Porsche actually did add lead up front to some of their rear engined cars from circa the 1970's.
Old 12-08-2009 | 10:26 AM
Euro951
Racer

Nice !
Old 12-08-2009 | 11:24 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

BTW Porsche actually did add lead up front to some of their rear engined cars from circa the 1970's.
Very first 911's had about 11kg lead added to their front bumber ends. Also double batteries in front of front wheels served the same thing. Design was quite poor and they dried to improve handling with these hokus pokus tricks. They extended the wheelbase 1968 to get it more stabile.
Old 12-08-2009 | 12:31 PM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Lead in the bumper, amazing!!! Who would have thought!!

As to the hole Foam debate, that would be putting stuff back on which is the wrong direction!!

The triangluation of smaller holes would have been lighter and stonger, but at some point you hit a wall of a lot of work for demenishing returns. This was a good bang for the buck way to go.

Hole saw onership?? For the record, it was mine. If we had one in the shop I would have used it, but there is little use for a 2" hole saw in an auto shop unless you are a lightweight race nut that got us here!!
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:26 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I've heard of guys removing the front bumper as well. Not sure if I'd do this though.
Old 12-08-2009 | 02:39 PM
2bridges
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I've heard of guys removing the front bumper as well. Not sure if I'd do this though.
it's only a problem if you hit somthing HAAAHAA
Old 12-08-2009 | 04:54 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sh944
One suggestion on that mod, for those thinking about doing this. You can remove more material and keep more strength in the unit if you use smaller holes and work in a triangular fashion. If you draw triangles (invert every other one) around each of the holes, and then drill holes at the corners (sized to fit the material, of course), it works very well.

Do NOT do this on a street driven car. If you get in a crash and the insurance adjuster finds this, you'll have a lot of explaining to do and then you'll still get a big red "DENIED" on your claim and then a bigger red "CANCELLED" on your policy. I do a LOT of work for insurance companies and have some insights on some of the things they look for. You don't want to be on the wrong side of something like that, as you could wind up virtually uninsurable.
With all the POS see driving around (no front bumper, front end smashed in, headlights smashed in, rear damage, etc) it would amaze me that they would look for this. For that matter, do they think the non-stock engine in the car make the car uninsurable? What if it has non-stock suspension or brakes? What about lighter wheels?

And if you are not at fault, how could they possibly deny coverage if some hit you?

This seems like a little to many scare tactics.

-Dana
Old 12-09-2009 | 01:24 PM
mike10562004
Racer

cool! got a installed pic?
Old 12-09-2009 | 02:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

Hmmm........digging through my fab tools for the hole saws......
Old 12-09-2009 | 11:55 PM
User 41221
Banned

Originally Posted by DanaT
With all the POS see driving around (no front bumper, front end smashed in, headlights smashed in, rear damage, etc) it would amaze me that they would look for this. For that matter, do they think the non-stock engine in the car make the car uninsurable? What if it has non-stock suspension or brakes? What about lighter wheels?

And if you are not at fault, how could they possibly deny coverage if some hit you?

This seems like a little to many scare tactics.

-Dana

You can do whatever you want with the advise, but I can *promise* you that if you get tagged by an adjuster for having removed safety structures/impact devices on a car, its a whole 'nuther world to them compared to engine mods. As for the brakes/suspension mods, yes, you carry the risk of getting questioned, but generally they will take a lenient view of those as it usually means that they have been improved, not weakened.

I'm not saying that they will tear your car apart to try and find something like this, but they spend a LOT of time looking at cars and it wouldn't be hard for them to find something like this. If they do find it, you lose.

I am not an insurance adjuster, agent or representative of any insurance company but I have a lot of contact with them and know for a fact that this would be a huge problem. If you get hit by someone else (totally not your fault) and they find that you weakened the structure to save weight, do you really think they will cover your car or medical bills? Its not a scare tactic, at least any more than the fine print on your policy is. If they can find an exclusion, trust me, they'll use it.
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:23 AM
gt37vgt
Drifting

in this part of the world the people who check the repair quote are a third party any only interested in keeping the repairer honest quote . many of them wouldn't know what the standard bar looks like .
i would also imagine that there would only be a an issue if the damage had gone further than the front towers in wich case its all sad any how ..

You may perhaps have trouble with cages as a cage is it sometimes turns a big dent into a bent shell the way it transfers loads at times .
Old 12-10-2009 | 12:27 AM
Silver Rose
Instructor

Notice I have not a made a comment on the insurance effects of my bumper mod.
To that note SH944 You should Know my thoughts on how I like lite cars as I was, I think, the orgional owner of your Demon Yellow track car.
This is a mod that I would only recomend for a track car as I noted in my orgional post!! Safety and insurance are very real issues with this mod!!
So would the fiberglass rear bumper that I see on many HPDE 944's.

I do drive it on the street...rarly. To and from the track when I go to a HPDE. I am willing to bet my next incident will be on the track. Speed=risk, It's that simple. I have been driving for over 20 years and have yet to need a insurance claim (big knock on wood).

Is the bumper a risk? Sure!!! Am I will to take the risk? Sure, but I thought about it first. Should you take the risk? Hey all I am doing here is suplying pics, You can do the rest..

Pics of install tomarrow!!

Quick Reply: My new Lightwieght Fr Bumper