.25 bar boost, most likely cause?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .25 bar boost, most likely cause?

My car has a neat traction control enhancement.
When it rains, my car only has .25 bar of boost.
Now, while I'm saving fuel, I'm losing fun.

It seems as if there is a large vacuum leak of some sort. It idles a little goofy and when I first start it up cold it cycles 750-850 rpm.
Also normally when I am just accelerating with traffic I'm at 0 bar on the gauge and when it is displaying its interesting behavior I am still in vacuum. It is almost as if the car sees 1 bar of boost but it really isn't making it to the engine.

Most of the time, however, I start it up and it idles perfect, and I have my 1 bar back. Just odd.

I'm still using the cyclic valve and running some Autothority chips.

I did some looking around and think the recirc valve may be sticking, but it doesn't seem to be something that could stick on my drive in to work but be unstuck when I leave to go to lunch, and be stuck again when I go home.

It never changes its behavior once the car is started, it is like it makes a decision when I turn the key.

Maybe I need to brew an extra cup of coffee for it in the mornings?

Any thoughts other than the recirc to try? I can't find any vacuum leaks in any hoses or lines and all connections to the CV are still in good shape.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

BOV?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 PM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe your car dosent think your a very good bad weather driver

They also make a vaccume leak tester http://www.arnnworx.com/boost_testing.htm
Imagine using that and spraying soap water on the paces you think will cause trouble then i think you might get a hold of your leak
Old 12-04-2009, 04:00 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ilikemy944
Also normally when I am just accelerating with traffic I'm at 0 bar on the gauge and when it is displaying its interesting behavior I am still in vacuum. It is almost as if the car sees 1 bar of boost but it really isn't making it to the engine.
What do you mean by this?
The formulation of your post is causing more questions.
Are you referring to the stock gauge?
How do you know it's in vacuum when the gauge is at "0"?
Are you saying that only when it's wet out, you're experiencing these symptoms?

Damp air is exposing a weekness in the KLR circuit. Possible TPS.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:43 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Sounds electrical if it's only happening on damp weather days. Moisture wouldn't usually have an effect if there was a vacuum leak.

I'd maybe look at stuff outside of the engine bay. In my experience, if it's a moisture related problem (like say worn out plug wires or something that arc to the block on humid mornings), the problem will clear up once the underhood temp goes up enough to help clear out the dampness.

Is the car hesitating at all? Are you sure the boost gauge is correct? (And are you looking at the stock gauge or a mechanical aftermarket one?) If it's the stock gauge, maybe poke around near the KLR, make sure all your connections are good down there.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today would be the first day it did it in the dry. And yes, stock gauge and I meant 1 bar on the gauge. It is very hard to describe.

Car doesn't hesitate at all, in fact it runs real smoothly, just many horsepower short! It is pretty easy to tell the boost gauge is telling a story, .25 vs 1 bar is quite an interesting change...

I'm going to swap the recirc valve and let you guys know how that works out.

Quick Reply: .25 bar boost, most likely cause?