Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should these scare me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=290331735298

good deal but ebay for the most part scares me..

thoughts?

-Ian
Old 11-30-2009, 12:24 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Be aware that you may need OE radius base lugnuts and the studs may be too long for the OE aluminum closed cap type. They may require the open lug style. The lugnuts in the photo look beveled to me.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running these exact spacers on my 911 (1" in front and 1.5" in back) and they have been problem free since I put them on a couple years ago. I'm 80% sure I bought them from this exact seller... As mentioned, the base lug nuts are standard taper, not the Porsche radius style but that is ok as the lugnuts come with the spacers. I'm using the standard Porsche closed end lug nuts on the studs themselves and they are working ok with the Mille Miglia Turbo Twist replica wheels I have installed.

The price is very good...
Old 11-30-2009, 12:38 AM
95ONE
Race Car

I bought some spacers from them.. the hubcentric center hole did not fit. I milled it out. But it was an adapter from 5x130 to 5x4.5 Is the center hub a different size between an '86 and all years after?
Old 11-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hah wow. so I just went out to measure the hubcentric hole only on the BBS's I bought a year ago.. only to realize that one of them has a 1.5" crack in the lip! grrrr

Guess I will just stick with the phone dials hahah
Old 12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
I bought some spacers from them.. the hubcentric center hole did not fit. I milled it out. But it was an adapter from 5x130 to 5x4.5 Is the center hub a different size between an '86 and all years after?
The front hubs on the 86 don't like spacers, you have to take off material and in my case, I thought it was way too much material. One more reason to go to 87+ hubs, they don't need machining to fit.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
The front hubs on the 86 don't like spacers, you have to take off material and in my case, I thought it was way too much material. One more reason to go to 87+ hubs, they don't need machining to fit.
I'm running H&R's up front and back on my 1986. No problems. I actually have two different sets of rears, depending on which wheels I'm running, so I removed and reinstall them several times. They have lots of track use as well, which I've heard is a problem because the use of spacers up front puts more strain on the suspension and screws around with your turn-in geometry. The car mildly used up a set of front bearings (could tell they went bad on the track, but not off the track), but they were old and original anyway. Not sure how long the new bearings will last with the spacers.

One thing - having spacers on the front is a bit of a pain any time you want to do any work to the front that requires access without the spacers (changing the rotors, bearings, regreasing the bearings, etc.). At a minimum, you need someone else around to hold the brakes for you while you remove the front spacers.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

On the link Ian posted, you can see how much material they took out of the back side. I also think that some 86 hubs have a little more taper on them at the base making the problem even worse. I was trying to use a standard spacer and had to machine the inside out to get it to fit. I didn't run it for long, not much material was left.
Attached Images  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:11 AM
951_RS
Rennlist Member

I too have spacers on the front of my of '86 with no problems. I bought them from http://www.wheelenhancement.com/index.php
Old 12-02-2009, 04:35 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

first, your car might feel like crap with this garbage added on... if you're asking the question - then you already know the answer, yet Porsche racers prove conventional wisdom wrong all the time and report zero failures/deaths. but the facts remain, your safety resting on five studs that are experiencing addtional loads and resonances that were never intended to be added, all coming on in microsecond bursts if you happen to like to go fast... ask nascar what they think of wheel spacers...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
first, your car might feel like crap with this garbage added on... if you're asking the question - then you already know the answer, yet Porsche racers prove conventional wisdom wrong all the time and report zero failures/deaths. but the facts remain, your safety resting on five studs that are experiencing addtional loads and resonances that were never intended to be added, all coming on in microsecond bursts if you happen to like to go fast... ask nascar what they think of wheel spacers...
EVIDENCE??? For any of your attacks on the use of wheel spacers? Or just opinion/hearsay? Unfounded statements add nothing to this discussion.

And seriously - "ask nascar"?? If there's anything to it, why don't YOU ask Nascar and get back to us?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

It's not like Porsche hasn't used them from the factory before...

Quick Reply: Should these scare me?