Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What is stock ride hight on a 944 turbo S?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:31 PM
964-C2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is stock ride hight on a 944 turbo S?

..and how/where do I measure it?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:27 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Here are some notes I have gathered on this over the years. A lot of the sources are from here. I have never actually tried any of these.

The correct way to do it is:

1. Measure from the center of the torsion bar to the ground.
2. Measure from the center of the wheel to the ground.

1 - 2 = height. It should be - 3.5mm +/- 10mm

The other way you could do it is take a measurement from the center of the wheel to the
bottom of the wheelwell fender lip. Should be around 14" I think.

The last way you could do it is measure from the ground to the top edge of the rear bumper. Should be 522mm +/- 20mm.

Typically, the best place to take a ride height measurement is
from the ground up to the top-center of the fender well (i.e. centered on the wheel).
A good number to use for ride height measurement at that point is about 25 inches (63,5 cm).
It's really not a great idea to go much lower than that. And, you'll achieve the best
results if you keep the same ride height front-to-rear.

Set the front ride height until the control arms are level, then adjust the rear so the rockers are level.

The PCA DE rule sets a minimum ride height of 25" on the front measured from the ground to the highest point in the front
fender opening for cars with factory A-arms. The chassis should have a slight (1/4") rake to avoid getting the rear lower
than the front with fuel

Front - measure to the bottom of the inside rear control arm bolt. 130mm (5.12") ideal

Rear - measure to the torsion bar tube (the outer part of the torsion bar) 230mm (9.0") ideal

The rear height can be adjusted to a limited extent using the eccentric bolt. After that the torsion bars have to be re-indexed

I typically don't use the fender as a guide. With a stock aluminum control arm, the lowest I'll set the ride height for a
street/ DE car is 4 3/4" (ball joint concerns) from the head of caster block bolts to the ground and 8 3/4" from the
center of the t-bar housing (use the outer housing to level L&R). 5 1/4" and 9 1/4" is what I use for a street only car.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 63 Posts

There are diagrams in the Service Manual...

Front is from the ground to the caster mount bolt heads. Rear is to the torsion bar carrier.

Quick Reply: What is stock ride hight on a 944 turbo S?