Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust gas smell killing me!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:17 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where on or along the firewall does the firewall seal run?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where on or along the firewall does the firewall seal run?
At the top of the firewall - rear of the engine bay. There is (or should be) a tubular seal that runs along the top separates the battery/HVAC blower/ wiper motor area from the engine. The seal seals the engine bay against the hood when closed.

The engine bay in a 944 is a high pressure area from all the air being forced through the radiator/intercooler; the area behind the seal, just below the windshield is a low pressure area. That seal has to be contiguous and the hood fitted properly or physics will take over.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt Sheppard
At the top of the firewall - rear of the engine bay. There is (or should be) a tubular seal that runs along the top separates the battery/HVAC blower/ wiper motor area from the engine. The seal seals the engine bay against the hood when closed.

The engine bay in a 944 is a high pressure area from all the air being forced through the radiator/intercooler; the area behind the seal, just below the windshield is a low pressure area. That seal has to be contiguous and the hood fitted properly or physics will take over.
Ok, then I am pretty sure mine is shot, but didn't realize there was a pressue issue that would force air through the vents/firewall.

I know for me, when the vents are blowing and especially when AC is on, the exhaust smell is much more prominent in the cabin.
Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
DivineE
Racer

You still shouldn't have a strong exhaust smell unless there's a leak. Exhaust gasses are meant to be sealed in the exhaust system and taken to the back of the car. Engine bay shouldn't have any exhaust gasses present?!
Old 12-04-2009, 11:21 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Todd,

Good idea on the leaf blower!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:12 PM
Loquat15
Racer

psst, my CO test tube had a few holes in it and made me always smell exhaust/fuel fumes. check it out, make sure it's not leaking exhaust fumes... simple fix is to remove the test tube and install a cap onto where the tube is...

I ended up taking it out, cutting off basically the whole thing except for a small section, had a friend weld it shut and reinstalled it. you might be able to find a cap, but whatever works. Hope you figure it out, it sucks when your beloved Porsche isn't at 100%..
Old 12-06-2009, 10:10 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I resealed my passenger taillight yesterday w/ butyl tape. I could feel outside compressed air as I blew from the inside along the edges. I will see Mon if it makes any difference after I redo my weather seal tape.

I have a new hatch seal to install,but I am waiting to change hatches after I intall the wing from CPR. If you intall thick weather seal tape along the hatch where it makes contact with the seal it might help and rule out the hatch as a problem. You could also use clear silicone if the hatch glass is seperated.

There is also a foam piece that fits under the shifter, I plan to change that soon as well.

Steve
Old 12-06-2009, 07:48 PM
Richgreenster
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrZ1
I resealed my passenger taillight yesterday w/ butyl tape. I could feel outside compressed air as I blew from the inside along the edges. I will see Mon if it makes any difference after I redo my weather seal tape.

I have a new hatch seal to install,but I am waiting to change hatches after I intall the wing from CPR. If you intall thick weather seal tape along the hatch where it makes contact with the seal it might help and rule out the hatch as a problem. You could also use clear silicone if the hatch glass is seperated.

There is also a foam piece that fits under the shifter, I plan to change that soon as well.

Steve
Steve,
I had to laugh at your last post when I looked at your avitar! Now that was funny and you didn't even try.

Also it is true what you said! I had a 924 that had a bad cat and did the same thing to me. I sealed the rear tail lights and hatch and fixed the problem 80% but it never went totally away until I installed a new cat on the car.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:39 AM
DrZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Richgreenster
Steve,
I had to laugh at your last post when I looked at your avitar! Now that was funny and you didn't even try.

Also it is true what you said! I had a 924 that had a bad cat and did the same thing to me. I sealed the rear tail lights and hatch and fixed the problem 80% but it never went totally away until I installed a new cat on the car.
I wish this was the case , but I do have a street car that is plaqued by these smells. My avitar is a track project I am working on. It did seem better today since I resealed the passenger tail light. There were also two small holes on the passenger side of the spare tire well. I sealed those up as well.

Steve

Quick Reply: Exhaust gas smell killing me!