Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front suspension questions - Weltmeister 250#

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:49 AM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm, so it sounds like there may be no such thing as 300# welts.

Just for the sake of getting this thing on the road i may just throw on the 250# welts that i have sitting in my garage, then save up for some front and rear coilovers to have for when i get sick of 250# and decide to go for more...
Old 11-17-2009, 12:03 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2bridges
for what it is worth the 250lb are a waste of effort...... way to soft even for street duty...... I would go no less than 325# front, of course that will require rear attention but will be a night and day transformation from stock
Before I bought my springs, I had a few guys tell me what you are saying. Having chosen to go with my 250lb springs, I can say that I could not be happier with them for a dual use car.

In my opinion, 250# welts are definitely not too soft for street use. They are actually pretty firm. Keep in mind, the stock 951 springs are only about 150#. In combination with 28 mm torsion bars and 968 m030 sways, the car handles really well on street and track. Now, if I were to put a set of Hoosiers and racing brake pads on it, I might find that there is a bit too much body roll and the car would probably get unsettled on the track. But, since I drive my car to the track, I am still running street tires (Falken RT-615) and street/track pads (Hawk HP+). With this setup, I have no problem keeping up with (and passing) the more modern Carreras, Boxsters, Caymans, and M3's, which are probably mildly modified as well. Can I keep up with a race prepped 951? No.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:10 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Hmmm, so it sounds like there may be no such thing as 300# welts.

Just for the sake of getting this thing on the road i may just throw on the 250# welts that i have sitting in my garage, then save up for some front and rear coilovers to have for when i get sick of 250# and decide to go for more...
I think you are doing the right thing. Start there and you can always go firmer down the road. If you go too far with a dual use car, you may end up disliking driving it on the street. Its all a matter of personal preference.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vt951
But, since I drive my car to the track, I am still running street tires (Falken RT-615) and street/track pads (Hawk HP+). With this setup, I have no problem keeping up with (and passing) the more modern Carreras, Boxsters, Caymans, and M3's, which are probably mildly modified as well. Can I keep up with a race prepped 951? No.
vt, how are the 615's on the track?

and as for the springs, i guess i can understand how 250# can be decent. i had my stick 951 on the track and i was so surprised at how well it felt. i mean you can always use more power. and more grip. but since i was running old school stock size bridgestone S-03 tires, the suspension felt pretty good. so i can see how 250# springs would be pretty decent until you start running some sticky tires. our cars are blessed to have such a good weight distribution and basic good design that they adapt so well to track life.

then again, if 250 is good, 400 must be great ....

Quick Reply: Front suspension questions - Weltmeister 250#