Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Constantine's 944 Torque Tube (TT) Bearings - INSTALLED!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Are these available for the 968?
Are they different from the 944 TT's?
Constantine is currently only making them for the 928's and the 944's, so if the 968 is different you might be out of luck...
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LS1Porch
Just a quick update to this thread--the car is running and driving again. No bearing noise and absolutely smooth as silk at a high-rpm cruise. I couldn't be happier
This is my daily driver so i'll keep racking up the miles. I'm not expecting any problems though.

Thanks again to Constantine, for everything!
Hi Chris,

Great news and you are very welcome! Thanks for your patience on this project and please do let us now how it goes through the miles. They should be fine though!

Kind regards,
Old 11-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by George D
Are these available for the 968?

Hi George,

These same bearing units should fit the 924/944/968 family of Porsches. From our research all should have the same torque tube ID and drive shaft OD measurements.

Cheers,
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 PM
Charles A. Toupin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Wow! Really nice job!

I'm also impressed by the bearings

Bravo!

C.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:41 AM
Frank@Work
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

My TT is sitting iin my garage ready to receive new bearings.

This portion of your writeup is concerning me just a little bit:

"think i can safely say that this was not only an absolutely necessary tool for the job,..."

I'm living in The Netherlands, so I probably have to built my own tool to get the job done!?
Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Frank,

Great question and one we are trying to find an answer too at the moment.

From doing rebuilds ourselves we have found, as many here have, that although the concept seems easy to rebuild a torque tube (TT) for the 928 and 924/944/968 Porsches, the actual act of doing so isn't that easy.

We have found that the "threaded rod technique" used by some and as outlined on Clark's Garage website, can damage the bearing units and frustrate the one doing the rebuild.

After the original bearing units are removed, the hassle of removing the old bearings, finding a good replacement bearing, trying not to damage the bearing unit further or the inner bearing portion that is usually brittle and falls apart, is also daunting.

Our bearing units are a significant upgrade to the original design and takes away the hassle of rebuilding the old bearing unit which can lead to problems later. Positioning these new units within a TT is not the problem. The main problem is replacing the drive shaft back through these bearings since hammering the drive shaft through is not really an acceptable practice since this can damage the bearings. The drive shaft must also be placed through the bearing units as straight as possible so it will slide through without hanging within a bearing unit and dragging it out of position in the TT.

So we are currently revising the tool shown in this thread to make it much more affordable to send around with the bearing units to make rebuilding the TT a lot easier for the end user. A core charge will be charged for the tool and once it's sent back the core charge is refunded. The new tool design will allow it to be sent in a decently sized box that will not be difficult to ship around, even overseas.

We are committed to bring the TT rebuild process to a new and better level so the owner does not have to live with noise and vibrations from a poorly rebuilt TT. We all know this can sour your driving experience of these fine cars.

If you or anyone else has any suggestions for us we will gladly listen!

Thank you,

Originally Posted by Frank@Work
My TT is sitting iin my garage ready to receive new bearings.

This portion of your writeup is concerning me just a little bit:

"think i can safely say that this was not only an absolutely necessary tool for the job,..."

I'm living in The Netherlands, so I probably have to built my own tool to get the job done!?
Old 12-01-2009, 10:00 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I am needing to do this and have been waiting for the right solution to come along. It looks like you have the bearings squared away.

Have you tried installing one of the inner bearings on the shaft inserting the shaft in the tube and then adjusting the position with a suitable piece of pipe that matches the OD of the bearings and is long enough to miss the shaft? Work from the other end for the other inner bearing, and then do the outer two. Or does this idea put too much stress on the new bearings?
Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM
LS1Porch
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cruise98
I am needing to do this and have been waiting for the right solution to come along. It looks like you have the bearings squared away.

Have you tried installing one of the inner bearings on the shaft inserting the shaft in the tube and then adjusting the position with a suitable piece of pipe that matches the OD of the bearings and is long enough to miss the shaft? Work from the other end for the other inner bearing, and then do the outer two. Or does this idea put too much stress on the new bearings?
Hmm, that's actually not a bad idea! (If i get what you're saying). Perhaps you could also install the center two bearings, install the shaft, then install the outer two bearings.
Old 12-01-2009, 09:41 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi Kieth,

As you can imagine we tried a few different options and found that placing the bearings in the TT first and then pushing the drive shaft in place is the best way to do this rebuild.

As you guessed, the problem with what you suggest is putting too much pressure on the bearings, especially the first few. When you angle the drive shaft in the bearing it puts a lot of pressure on the ball bearings and races. It's almost impossible to hold the drive shaft perfectly within the bearing to install it all within the TT.

When we figure out the tool it will be much simpler to rebuild the TT.

Thank you for the kind words on the bearing units.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by cruise98

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

thread revive.....

Quick Reply: Constantine's 944 Torque Tube (TT) Bearings - INSTALLED!