Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Fixer for sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 05:15 AM
CarbonRevo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, but I have to take Lart's side. $3200 is quite a bit for that car and certainly more then a weekends worth of work. $3200 would get you a non wrecked turbo, running, with the same miles...possibly needing a clutch or engine seals.

Max I would give is $2,000. We're not bashing you, just giving you some constructive criticism. It's your choice whether you accept it or not. We know the 944 market pretty well and a car like this will sit awhile before you find a sucker to pay over $2500.

Not to mention, the frame rails have been replace to the shock towers? Who else besides me says F driving this car on a track or anything remotely close. No thanks.

Good luck. Wish you'd check out Lart's option though.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If the car is as sound as the seller is saying

I think its a good deal. These cars usually take a total of 7k to get them reliable whether you buy a 7k car or buy a 3000 car and invest 4k in upgrades paint and misc. things

I almost think it better the buy a 3k car (like this) and invest the time and money into new parts because you actually know what has been replaced and you learn something in the process.

I think he will get close to the 3k mark
Old 11-13-2009, 07:58 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Sorry, but I have to take Lart's side. $3200 is quite a bit for that car and certainly more then a weekends worth of work. $3200 would get you a non wrecked turbo, running, with the same miles...possibly needing a clutch or engine seals.

Max I would give is $2,000. We're not bashing you, just giving you some constructive criticism. It's your choice whether you accept it or not. We know the 944 market pretty well and a car like this will sit awhile before you find a sucker to pay over $2500.

Not to mention, the frame rails have been replace to the shock towers? Who else besides me says F driving this car on a track or anything remotely close. No thanks.

Good luck. Wish you'd check out Lart's option though.
Well "constructive criticism" is one thing and what he did was another. If you think his approach to telling me my car is crap and posting another car for sale in my thread is constructive criticism well then I dont know.

This isent my first day in the 944 world so I know My prices as well (I have owned 10+ 944's) and all you are basing our opinion on is pictures.

When he offered my $1500, I didnt flip out or get mad I just said No thanks. And thats when he crossed the line with his other posts.

BTW. The guy who fixed the car is one of the best body guys in portland and he has been in the buisness for years so im pretty sure he knows how to weld.

Anyways, No biggie. If I cant sell it then I will buy it and put it back together.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
INURGRL951
Three Wheelin'

Location: out in the sticks and flat lands of va wondering around for an open field or pavement!!!

I think it's a good deal if I had the extra cash I would pick it up and build a monster out of it. I like to start with a car like this and build to my spec. Just don't let it get parted find it a good home to come back to life in!
Old 11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

Being welded in front of the shock towers is not such a bad thing. I speak from experience. My 944 has this repair, and is the stiffest 944 I've ever driven and Ive driven dozens of them. I looked into it, as I am currently a senior Mechanical Engin. student at UT. The quick result of a very basic stress analysis shows that there actually isnt much stress at all in front of the shock towers. Almost all of it sits at and slightly behind them because of that big aluminum cross member down underneath!!

Now as far as value - this car will never win any shows due to the damage and will always be worth less than an equivalent car when repaired. BUT the seller is shooting straight and even provided a picture of the repair. I think everyone should back off. 3200 is a bit high for my tastes too but then again 1500 seems a bit low. The car looks quite decent and Im sure it will turn.

People on rennlist are often ********, and this whole forum and website comes with a big reputation from most of the professional Porsche mechanics, enthusiasts, company employees and everyone associated with Porsches in genereal. Most agree there are alot of flamers on this board.

Guess Im being one by calling them ******** - call it continuing the tradition. Just go look at some "turbo my N/A" threads.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM
pjburges
Burning Brakes

If its ever in a crash from the front end - thats a different story! But then, maybe it wouldnt make much difference. Best way to tell is to crash one and find out! Wouldnt let it deter me from the car though.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:37 AM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think what Lart was getting at is that there are some decent running examples with current maintenance in the $6k range.

Just to put the body back together and get a proper re-spray would be in the $3k range (being kind), so that brings this cars worth to $6,700 and still no drivetrain/alignment work. Bu that does not mean someone would not want the project.

Sometimes Lart is a bit brash, but he didn't mean anything bad by it, just been doing it a LONG time is all, and offering what he saw as fair.

Good Luck with the sale
Old 11-15-2009, 12:55 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Well "constructive criticism" is one thing and what he did was another. If you think his approach to telling me my car is crap and posting another car for sale in my thread is constructive criticism well then I dont know.
His tactics for posting on your thread was wrong, I agree. But overall, he does have knowledge in the used-parting car market, but that doesnt justify his post. Hence, why he was informed by the Admin.

Originally Posted by pjburges
People on rennlist are often ********, and this whole forum and website comes with a big reputation from most of the professional Porsche mechanics, enthusiasts, company employees and everyone associated with Porsches in genereal.
Well, I am sorry you feel this well. I have been a Member here for a long time, and think this community offers a wealth of information for new and long-time owners of 944Ts.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:10 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ban Lart! Ban Lart!

The point isn't whether the price is fair or not, Lart shouldn't have said anything past his offer. Period.

And there are definitely a lot of ******** on Rennlist. I know, I'm one of them.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:28 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DDP
Ban Lart! Ban Lart!

The point isn't whether the price is fair or not, Lart shouldn't have said anything past his offer. Period.

And there are definitely a lot of ******** on Rennlist. I know, I'm one of them.
lol..
Old 11-15-2009, 03:08 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

All you guys, I love your posts, and I respect everyone's opinions...

read so many of them over the years before i started adding to the forum...

the "frank-but-true" comments are sure to hurt people's feelings.

for 5.2 k you can buy a mint-condition, 1999 BMW 740 IL [here in Mass] that runs perfect...

IS THERE ANY PART OF "P E R F E C T" THAT ANY OF US CAN'T UNDERSTAND ?

with all due respect, these Porsche parts cars are way overpriced...

1. if you have a friend with a tow-truck, and you have a nice heated garage and plenty of ample space for stripping down a couple of parts cars, and a couple of parts houses on speed-dial -- then add a lot of sweat -- more than most of us care to admit.

and you can keep your cars running stock...

hats off to all you transaxle mechanics, because that's what most of you are.

2. then there's "big builds" turning out street-legal rides and a few turns on the track.

add

3. full-racing "like 2bridges" mile car.

the first example is not for the eternally busy, or mechanically challenged -- like me.

the second example is what you do after your wife is happy.

the third example is what you do after your wife is VERY happy.

cuz if you drive a Porsche, you better have a nice lady... or one better be coming soon.

./

Last edited by odurandina; 11-16-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: foot not inserted sufficiently deep in mouth
Old 11-15-2009, 04:25 PM
sebastian944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by odurandina
i read your posts for years before i started adding to the forum...

the "frank but true" comments are sure to hurt people's feelings.

for 5.2 k you can buy a mint-condition 1999 BMW 740 IL [here in Mass] that runs perfect.

IS THERE ANY PART OF " P E R F E C T " THAT YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND ?

1. if you have a friend with a tow-truck, and you have a nice heated garage and plenty of ample space for stripping down a couple of parts cars, and a couple of parts houses on speed-dial -- then add a lot of sweat to keep your cars running stock... more than most of us care to admit.

hats off to all you transaxle mechanics, because that's what most of you are.

2. then there's "big builds" turning out street-legal rides and a few turns on the track.

add

3. full-racing "like 2bridges" mile car.

the first example is not for the eternally busy, and mechanically challenged -- like me.

the second example is what you do after your wife is happy.

the third example is what you do after your wife is VERY happy.

cuz if you drive a Porsche, you better have a nice lady... or one better be coming soon.

./
you said it brother! .. Looks like we fill the same shoes! I'd be lucky if I even had time to wash the car.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:14 AM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Wow lart is a funny guy.... lol.
Keep acting like a child. Your Embarrassing yourself.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:26 AM
xtaC
Racer

Originally Posted by mitfa911
Why is there always someone that doesn't have anything better to do than get in other people's business. I though we are all here to help each other out. If someone doesn't agree with the price of a car, then just move on. But don't trash on other people's business.
THIS.

How many times can this douche jump in on other people's for sale threads and make snide, snippy insults about them, like he is God's own appointed authority on how much things should sell for?

I couldn't care less how many 944 parts you've sold, sod off out of other people's for sale threads, and leave the underhanded, sarcastic comments to someone who wants to hear them.

/RANT

It's now wonder this forum of goings down the drain

Sorry for the thread derail OP, this just really pushes my buttons; and I hope you sell your car
Old 11-16-2009, 11:17 AM
minho78
Burning Brakes

Well, this is a forum and as in any other forum you can say how you feel about things. Maybe the way Lart posted was a littlebit harsh but he didn't insult anybody with words. 944/951 Guy you are right about him coming to your thread and put it that way. The other day I also posted something on another thread and the person that posted thought I was trashing his thread meanwhile I was actually asking a question.
PJBurges I think that this forum is an excellent forum.Rennlisters are always willing to help, and let me tell you if you need a part sometimes they will ship it to you for free try that on another forum. Sorry you feel that way.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Fixer for sale