Coolant level hot vs cold

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant level hot vs cold

Hi Folks,

My 142000 km 1988 turbo's coolant level is concerning me.

I fill it to halfway between min and max when cold but it quickly "disappears" to the low mark when cold. When the car is up to temperature, the level is between min and max.

The manual definitely states that the engine should be cold when checking the level.

I cannot see, smell, hear any sign of leaking coolant and I'm going with the theory that it overflows onto the ground when I'm driving. Does this make any sense?

Any other theories that I can test?

Cheers
Old 10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

You can pull up the overflow tube (no tools needed) and route it into a plastic coke bottle to see if the coolant is coming out the overflow.

Also try pressure testing the system with a tester like the one sold by Sears. This will tell you if you have any external leaks. Sometimes external leaks can be so small they just steam when hot and you don't see them leaking onto the ground (unless you have a pressure tester).

If you have no external leaks and the coolant is coming out the overflow, compare how much overflow comes out when after driving for a while with no boosting vs. driving for a while with lots of boosting. If you get lots of overflow after boosting (and not otherwise) then start looking for other head gasket symptoms like rough starts when cold, a steam cleaned spark plug, milkshake foam in oil cap, etc.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, having alot of air in the cooling system would cause this.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
svtlrtls
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overflow catch can installed and being watched.

Thanks guys,

I installed (OK, just taped) a catch can under the rerouted overflow tube.

I'll try the boost vs non-boost volume test over the next few days.

I very occasionally hear a very faint gurgle/trickle when the engine is coming up to temperature and I am currently running with the theory that the heater valve opens and water starts circulating through the system - causing a gurgle/trickle.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Coolant level hot vs cold