Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Eliminate the torque tube!!??

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also looked into this whole affair.

Bottom line is how much money do you want to spend and what are you willing to put up with as far as problems that will surface. In our humble opinion the TT system should be the last place to look at to reduce weight from this platform for a lot of the reasons already mentioned.

If anyone is really interested in diving into the TT arrangement to make a difference, it should be to incorporate modifications that would allow a clutch R&R without having to drop the whole TT from the car, as in the 968 and the 928. This would involve a new TT, two part drive shaft and clutch housing. This is something we believe many racers/enthusiasts need. Incorporate some weight savings into the design and you will have a winner.

Cheers,
Old 10-26-2009, 07:53 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The aluminum part just doesn't save a whole lot of weight.. I calculated out a 16lb savings using an aluminum tube that equals strength of the original steel, with the inner diameter very close to the steel one so that the bearings can be re-used. Cheaper, but the return didn't really seem worth it.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a torque tube that I cut the whole steel piece off of and weighted it. The steel piece without bearings/shaft and about 6" missing off of it was 28lbs.

Quick Reply: Eliminate the torque tube!!??