Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hints please - rebuilding 86 oil pressure relieve valve (OPRV)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - all done. A few lessons learned from the job.

- Tom's instructions are great.

- When I re-installed the OPRV in the aligned housing, it just slipped right in and started. No pressure required. When it was unaligned, it took some pressure to the threads to start. I assumed this was normal as the unit has a spring in it but it's apparently not.

- A 32mm bicycle headset wrench works wonders to help get the oil lines off. I wasn't able to remove the rear one at the housing in the car so I undid it at the cooler side. You can pull the housing with the aft oil line attached and remove on the bench. I then reinstalled it started but loose and lined the angle up and tightened it in the car.

- I rechecked the alignment of the housing after reefing on the oil lines when installing. There's not much torque holding the housing in place, it seems it could slip some while tightening up the oil lines (mine didn't).

- That 3 piece heatshield is quite the trick to assemble alone. Bring a friend.

- This has to be one of the nastiest, messiest, tightest jobs I have ever done. Nothing like working on your head in a mix of oozing oil and antifreeze. I think just about every bolt or nut needed me to use a universal. And I had a flex head snapon quarter inch ratchet as well.

Glad it's done. I hope I won't be doing this any time again soon.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:31 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
The 87 OPRV won't fit. The difference is in the block, not the housing so he's stuck with the conversion type OPRV.
Reviving this thread... Got a question. I'll be reinstalling my OPRV & housing this weekend and based on what I've read, I should ditch the 3-piece and upgrade to 1-piece. My concern is whether or not a late-style 1-piece will work in my engine. Are there internal differences that would prevent me from swapping an 88/89 1-piece in?

Also, I did rebuilt the oil/water heat exchanger (aka oil cooler) on my 924S several years ago. It had the 1-piece and I did the job successfully without the alignment tool. Did I just get lucky taking my time while tightening everything up with the OPRV in place? Do I really need the alignment tool to put turbo housing back together?
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct, the late style will not work in your block. You will need the updated 86 1 piece OPRV. There are two 1 piece units, an early unit and a late unit. And you can use the 1 piece OPRV as the alignment tool.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Perfect, thanks for the clarification!

Now I need to locate an early-model 1-piece OPRV for this weekend .
Old 06-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Put a WTB post on the board - you can usually find someone with one for sale. That's what I did.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Does anyone have a picture of the 1-piece valve for an 86? Lart is going to check his inventory but we don't know what the older style looks like. Too bad I can't use an 88 valve, he's got one on eBay right now...
Old 06-21-2011, 11:31 PM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

See post 14 on this thread for a picture of an 86. The later model is a little different - the tip and threads are a bit different. If you search the archives, you'll find some comparison pictures.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:03 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Ok, so here's early (left) beside late (right)... it looks like the big difference is those ground off threads on the early version, but there are a few tapers on the late version that aren't there on the early, and the grooves look slightly different. If the threads were the only difference, I've got a really nice grinder that could make quick work of that .

Old 06-23-2011, 12:39 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Looks like the old 3-piece will be going back in this weekend. Reading Clarks Garage, he says that the 3-piece isn't as finicky as the 1-piece with alignment, and mine was working when it came out, so what the heck.

I'll still keep my eye out for a used early 1-piece to have as a spare if my oil pressure starts to act funky.

One more question; should I go ahead and replace the oil thermostat while I'm in there?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:09 AM
Jeff N.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Ok, so here's early (left) beside late (right)... it looks like the big difference is those ground off threads on the early version, but there are a few tapers on the late version that aren't there on the early, and the grooves look slightly different. If the threads were the only difference, I've got a really nice grinder that could make quick work of that .

I think the tips are not the same as well.

Re the thermostat - why change unless something's wrong? If you tracking it, you can check to see what the temp is of the thermostat installed in the car. There are two versions - it's stamped on the body in celsius unit. Archives will tell you the exact temps - I think 95 and 105 but not positive.
Old 07-07-2019, 11:18 PM
ajdre11
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Euro951
I have two 1986 one piece units which I will let go for 40 each including shipping. In case you or any others need one. Barry
Barry-still have one of the OPRV’s available for sale? 944 107 035 11
thanks-Andre
Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM
Bikendrum
AutoX

HI Everyone, I'm pretty new with the 944 these cars are so much more difficult than the Miatas I've been racing. but they look beautiful! My questions is the OPRV old style 3 pc.

My car was fine just a tiny leak underneath. yesterday I pulled it out of the garage, heard a pressure liquid sound and saw my oil all over the drive. My Mahle oil filter seal blew out.
I pulled the oprv, (old 3 pc). do you think that is the cause or if I clean it up should it work well? I've read most of the posts on here and its all over the board. I need to get the car running
but I will order anew oprv Monday.
thanks !!

if anyone has a 86 new 1 pc they want to sell let me kno!
Old 07-16-2019, 01:39 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

Don't mess with a faulty OPRV ... i've had two oil fires with my race car where the seal blew out on the oil filter and onto the header !
I ended up purchasing a brand new unit from the dealer , it's cheaper than burning down your car.

Quick Reply: Hints please - rebuilding 86 oil pressure relieve valve (OPRV)